ZX Timing Belt Tensioner Tip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrew Robey
My Cars:

ZX Timing Belt Tensioner Tip

Post by Andrew Robey »

My tuppence-worth for anyone doing head gasket or timing belt change, or anything else requiring removal of the R/H engine-mounting, on an XUD diesel engine:
Haynes instruct you to make up a tool out of right-angled steel and a couple of bolts, to hold the belt tensioner plunger in place whilst you remove the mounting. I found this completely impossible as the pressure of the plunger on it's seating is too great to slide the tool in, particularly with the 1/4" of space Citroen have left down the side of the engine....[}:)]
So instead, I just man-handled the mounting out, allowing the spring and plunger to pop out onto the floor.
On refitting, I drilled and tapped a small hole in the mounting, through the side of the plunger's cylinder (there is even a raised casting as if this was Citroen's original intension), and drilled a 6mm hole in the plunger itself. The holes line up with the plunger fully depressed, allowing a 6mm bolt to be inserted, thereby holding everything in place during fitting. With the tensioner back in place, simply remove the 6mm bolt to allow the plunger spring to decompress.
Very easy[:D]
smh

Post by smh »

How about...
Removal: As you pointed out.. amazing how small my garage is, and yet how cunningly the piston managed to hide itself.. grrr...
Refitting:
Put the spring in the plunger, put the piston over the spring, with the tensioner in place (but loose) putting some weight on the bracket from above depresses the plunger and allows on to get the top-left bolt in.
Once that's in the others are easy.
It did take me 4 goes to manipulate this into position, but it is possible without any tools, and may take less time than fabricating the tool (or drilling holes).
Just to let you know it *is* possible!
Andrew Robey
My Cars:

Post by Andrew Robey »

I, too, must have tried that a dozen times, but the end of the plunger kept slipping off it's seat on the tensioner before I could get any bolts in. For the sake of sanity I had to find another way....[:(!]