'09 C5 cabin fan....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

'09 C5 cabin fan....

Post by milleplod »

....makes lots of noise when on its highest setting, but doesn't seem to produce a lot of air! :shock: Its nothing new, its been the same since I bought it I think, but I just wondered if 'they're all like that, sir', of if something's amiss. I did fit a new cabin filter earlier this year, but I don't remember there being more wind through my hair (or what's left of it....) prior to the change - if I'd put it in the wrong way round, could that affect output at all? :?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: '09 C5 cabin fan....

Post by myglaren »

Is there any possibility that the fan unit has been changed?
It has been mentioned that a Peugeot one runs in the opposite direction so if one has been fitted in error it may be the cause of the problem.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Compared to the Xantia, I felt my 05 C5r interior fan was a bit strained but maybe that's because it channels to the rear seats equally? I've learnt mid vents best for cooling me down.

But yes, at full speed it's bloody noisy! I usually only need two full blades at most, often less once the temperature has settled.
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

myglaren wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 18:31 Is there any possibility that the fan unit has been changed?
It has been mentioned that a Peugeot one runs in the opposite direction so if one has been fitted in error it may be the cause of the problem.

I don't think so - I've got a folder with bills for everything the previous owner (he had it from new) had done to it...even bulbs are documented!....and there's no mention of it.
MikeT wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 18:40 Compared to the Xantia, I felt my 05 C5r interior fan was a bit strained but maybe that's because it channels to the rear seats equally? I've learnt mid vents best for cooling me down.

But yes, at full speed it's bloody noisy! I usually only need two full blades at most, often less once the temperature has settled.

I'd never noticed rear vents tbh, must have a look for them! At lower speeds, there's output, but not much really. Perhaps its just me - previous cars seemed to blast air out when the fan was on full, even our 10-year old Doblo van's output matches the noise! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

On my C5 top speed is certainly noisy but also blows a gale. Could the fan blade possibly have come away from the shaft somehow?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Paul-R wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 18:59 On my C5 top speed is certainly noisy but also blows a gale. Could the fan blade possibly have come away from the shaft somehow?

There's no odd noises, its a proper blowing sound...and at full speed there's plenty of air coming out of the vents, I just expected more...to go with the 'Learjet take-off' sound! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.