Tacho Intermittant Fault Volcane TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulee
My Cars:

Tacho Intermittant Fault Volcane TD

Post by Paulee »

Hi
Ever since I first got my Volcane TD 3 years ago at 75,000 it has had a fault on the tacho.Milage is now 135,000
It always works fine for the first 5 - 10 minutes of a journey then dies.... sometimes it comes back to life for a minute or so and sometimes will last 30 minutes if the weather is really cold but I always arrive with no tacho at the end of a journey.
All the connections and loom have been checked and cleaned but I don't know which bits to start replacing first without wasting money.I can live without it if its an expense to solve.
any help would be appreciated....
cheers....Paul
Jon

Post by Jon »

Its usually the flywheel speed sensor thats at fault. You could try carefully removing and cleaning it, if not for the sale of a tenner fit a new one.
You'll see it by looking down the back of the gearbox bellhousing, and follow the cable back to either a grey or brown connector which is usually up by the oil filler neck.
My car has the brown type connector, this one is only £9.75 at GSF.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

Thanks Jon
will look into it at the weekend...
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

On my BX TZD Turbo, when the engine is warming up occaisionally the tacho needle will flick up a thousand or so revs for a split second then settle on the correct revs again while I am driving.
It only does it sometimes so I have not done anything about it yet.
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

I have just taken delivery of a 1994 ZX Aura 1.9 TD with about 62k on the clock. I have noticed the tacho occaisionally sticking at 2000 rpm, then moving to match the cars actual speed. It then takes time to drop to tickover when I'm queueing.
Also my speedometer needle has the jitters - is this normal?
Brian