PAYG car insurance

Handy links to other sites (car related) suggested by members

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

PAYG car insurance

Post by elma »

Car insurance now available in PAYG from cuvva
Wouldn't suit me as I don't agree with telematics but is probably good for learners, second cars and those with points. My Xantia came up as £16.25 subscription and £1.60 per hour.
As the subscription covers fire and theft when not driving I believe the car can be taxed on this policy.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: PAYG car insurance

Post by Stickyfinger »

The car would need to be parked off road however....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma

Post by elma »

Not so, its actually covered fully comp when parked. My mistake.

From Cuvva Terms:
The actual insurance consists of three parts:

Part 1 - the basic underlying subscription

The subscription provides comprehensive cover while your vehicle is parked and unattended. In the legal policy document, this is defined as "basic" level cover. It's very important to remember: this cover only applies while the vehicle is parked and unattended.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

better then.

Bet they don't do Agreed value :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma

Post by elma »

No idea.
Given that I drive for about 2hrs a week max it would be £140 a year less for me.
However I do trips to London and elsewhere spontaneously which would negate the saving.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My problem with that would be the need to have an app, or can you do it from your desktop computer?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
elma

Post by elma »

You do need the app as far as I know. I haven't checked in detail as it wouldn't suit me. For some people I can see it being very handy though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That might work well for me where I have multiple cars doing small mileages and used only intermittently...

Come the end of this year I'm likely to be unable to afford to run more than one car at current costs and with planned lifestyle changes ...

PAYG VED would also be a godsend for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote: 11 Jul 2017, 12:22 You do need the app as far as I know. I haven't checked in detail as it wouldn't suit me. For some people I can see it being very handy though.

I was only thinking about it because the short term insurance would be useful when/if I get the C5 estate up and running and need to get it in for tyres and an MOT, I already have two cars insured for a year and don't want to add another one.

I've tried to get short term cover before at times through the normal channels and it proved to be a nightmare.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
elma

Post by elma »

I had a quick look and it does appear that you need the app even if you only wish to buy one day.

I've found daily cover to be ok usually myself when used for similar reasons to yourself.

Generally I use a different company each time as prices fluctuate randomly.

Last one I took was direct from Avivas website at £19 for a single day and it was to take Green to its MOT.

That was the time I got done for no insurance, tax and mot by the DVLA or Vosa and they tried to blackmail me for months until I demanded it be heard by a Magistrate and threatened them with legal action themselves.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

What is the app James? A mobile phone app?

If so, which platforms? I guess if it is a phone app it won't work with a Windows Phone...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Not sure jim but assuming ios and android. I hit download and was taken straught to android version.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks James, the day I need to change to an Android phone draws closer every day.
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

You may actually find the availability of apps quite pleasing. Just don't buy a Samsung... I really like unadultered android. This Samsung thing is like android blended with idiocy.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'll be looking for a ruggedised basic but functional Android James, one that can survive bike rides and running...

Cost is critical.

One that's shock and waterproof...

Any suggestions?
Jim