Peugeot 207 1.4 16v cam cover oil leak - fixed, hopefully

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Peugeot 207 1.4 16v cam cover oil leak - fixed, hopefully

Post by Michel »

Well, the 1.4 engine has a reputation for leaking oil from the head gasket as we know. Mine has already had a head gasket replacement some time ago, but on 85k miles, was leaking oil again. I hadn't really inspected it, as I presumed it was the head gasket, and I would just keep putting oil in it rather than shelling out to get it fixed. Anyway, in the hot weather a few weeks ago, the smell of burning oil began to annoy me, so I had a look and discovered that the oil appeared to be coming from the cam covers, rather than the head gasket. Today I finally got around to attempting to fix it.

It was everywhere.
pug3.jpg
It appeared to be leaking mainly from the front edge of both cam covers. The plug wells were full of oil, the plug boots had filled up with oil. The whole lot was removed and cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner and rags.
pug4.jpg
Utterly filthy. I've also seen plugs from my old 2-smoke bikes with less oil on them when removed than these!
pug2.jpg
So, I cleaned up the gasket face, which was just covered in oil. Cleaned it properly, and reassembled with a bead of black silicon around, taking care not to get it in the oilways.
pug6.jpg
I did the same to the rear cam cover afterwards, but I didn't take pics as my battery was flat. Much the same as the front, apart from having to unhitch a couple of pipes and sensors. Of course, I dropped a bolt down the back of the engine, which I can see and not reach at all - just under the green label on the plenum. Fortunately, my TV wall-hanging kit had a couple of bolts unused that are exactly the same size.

Now it's all back together and so far, it's dry. I have taken it for a spin afterwards, and checked it, and it remains dry so far.
pug1.jpg
I've done a rush job of cleaning the front of the block, if it stays dry, I'll do it properly. Going to the Red Bull Soapbox race at Ally Pally tomorrow, so it'll get a good run round the M25 to that. If it's dry when I get back, it can have a clean, some new droplinks, and a pair of front tyres on Monday as they're down to the wear markers.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Re: Peugeot 207 1.4 16v cam cover oil leak - fixed, hopefully

Post by Michel »

I've no idea why the pics have come out in that order, or that much of a mess :-)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There are no photos showing for me - just the names of the files. And they're not clickable.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Oh, now the pics have disappeared. <confused>

They were supposed to appear in the following order - I added them and asked it to put them inline...
Attachments
pug6.jpg
pug4.jpg
pug3.jpg
pug2.jpg
pug1.jpg
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Still not right, but .. you get the idea.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good work Mike :D If mine starts to leak there I'll be in touch!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That's so easy on a 4 cylinder.
Removing my inlet manifold looks to be as much work as your entire job.
Inspiring though, if you can be drip free so can I.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

Driven the 52 miles to Cockfosters Tube today and it's bone dry. We will see how it is after the 52 miles home and a heat/cool/heat/cool cycle.
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

elma wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 10:38 That's so easy on a 4 cylinder.
Removing my inlet manifold looks to be as much work as your entire job.
Inspiring though, if you can be drip free so can I.

It wasn't a difficult job, that's for sure. More frustrating cleaning everything.

I am procrastinator-in-chief and I also suffer(d) with CFS for quite some time though it seems to have lifted for some months now. If I can get my act together and be leak free, I'm sure you can.
elma

Post by elma »

Well eventually.
Ive got a fortnight of working 12/7 to look forward to because someone else cocked up.
Sometimes it sucks been seen as reliable.

I was diagnosed with cfs in school.
I was lucky and was actually just depressed so i grew out if it.
From my brief taster though I understand how difficult it can make things.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased to hear all is still dry Mike... I think 52 miles is a far mileage to travel. If there was an issue I think it would have shown itself by now...

I'm rubbish at procrastination. If a job is needed it gets done... Just how I am...

Good to hear the CFS is in remission too :D Just be aware it can come back and bite you in the bum at any time if you become over-complacent about it ;) And that goes for the both of you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Michel
(Donor 2022)

Post by Michel »

I have a strict regime to control it Jim. It involves a "sod it" attitude. If I don't feel like doing something, I won't. I haven't felt like going out on my bike for a week or so... so I haven't.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 16:31 I have a strict regime to control it Jim. It involves a "sod it" attitude. If I don't feel like doing something, I won't. I haven't felt like going out on my bike for a week or so... so I haven't.

Good! That's an excellent attitude and one I'm still desperately trying to cultivate but I'm getting better by the day. CFS is a stress-sensitive condition....

Keep stress right down to very low levels and CFS tends to stay at low levels too...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

I don't have it Jim.
I just get depressed sometimes
Most people I know and like do too.
I think its the curse of being switched on.
Someyimes I envy the oblivious people who accept the 9 til 5, explore or qeustion nothing and think a tv is the best thing in the world.
I could never join them.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: 09 Jul 2017, 17:05 Someyimes I envy the oblivious people who accept the 9 til 5, explore or qeustion nothing and think a tv is the best thing in the world.
I could never join them.

I could never join them and don't envy them at all... What an utterly dull and pointless existence...
Jim