Sticky clutch not all the time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sutty86
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi 110bhp non gap
C1 VTR

Sticky clutch not all the time

Post by sutty86 »

Symptoms on my 55k 2005 picasso 1.6hdi
Are more recently clutch has been sticking after gear is selected and already bited.
Not affecting driving yet.
But here's the thing
It sometime drives fine.
Normally it starts straight away and will be same through out drive.
But like yesterday drove 150 miles clutch was fine.
Clutch brake fluid has not been changed in a few services.

I have already tried regreasing pedal,
Fluids are at the top of the bottle in the car.
Spring assistors seems okay.

Thinking about bleeding and adding new brake/clutch fluid dot 4.
Before taking it to the garage
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Sticky clutch not all the time

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Have you tried lubricating the cable at the gearbox end? Modern cables tend to have a plastic sleeve molded to the centre core of the cable sometimes this can wear badly at curves and bends in the cable causing drag on the cable as it moves back and forth.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Sticky clutch not all the time

Post by ekjdm14 »

By sticking do you mean the pedal is sticking on the floor after you change gear, the take up of drive is sometimes jerky, or something else?

If the pedal is staying on the floor yet you still have drive, but you can flick the pedal back up with your foot and it works again then I'd suggest it's likely the master cylinder being worn and allowing it's seals to flip. (assuming hydraulic clutch as you seem to suggest in mentioning the fluid level, if it's cable operated then the advice above would apply instead).

If the take up of drive is sometimes jerky it may be that the splines between the driven plate and input shaft are dry/dirty/corroded causing the plate to not move smoothly when releasing the clutch.

Just a couple of suggestions but without a bit more info on exactly how it's sticking, or being able to see/feel the cars behaviour in the flesh it's a tough call.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k