Best way to remove oil filter from plastic cover?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vonsworld
My Cars: Citroen Nemo Multispace

Best way to remove oil filter from plastic cover?

Post by vonsworld »

Hello

I've just changed the oil and oil filter on my Citroen Nemo, but had a few problems with the filter.

First of all it's awkward to reach from above with several pipes in the way, but once I removed the plastic filter cover I discovered the paper filter was stuck fast inside the cover. As you will know it is held by a circular ring of clips in the top of the cover.

I've never come across this wonderful design before ;-) since my previous cars have always had metal cartridge filters, but I understand this is a common design these days.

Anyway there is a video online showing you how to make a makeshift tool using the centre from a toilet roll, you create a tube to push inside the filter to release the clips. This didn't work for me because as soon as the oily filter touched the cardboard tube it went soft. However I cut up a plastic drinks bottle, made a suitable tube, and after several attempts the filter came loose.

There must surely be an easier way to release the filter, is there a trick I don't know, or a tool designed for this purpose?

Thanks for your advice :-)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Best way to remove oil filter from plastic cover?

Post by DickieG »

Either take hold of the filter with your hands and give it a sharp pull or insert a screwdriver into the side of the filter and lever it off, works for me every time.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Ed900

Post by Ed900 »

Pull really hard. Mine was stuck, thought I was going to break it. Think mine had never been changed :-(
I've no idea why they are fitted, probably to make things less DIY!
Bick

Post by Bick »

they can be a pig brute force required - screwdriver good idea or clamp the plastic housing in a vice (cover jaws with rag) and give it a sharp yank
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I don't know what's different with mine but my filters always remain in place, which also causes the oil contents to leak all over my gearbox and everything in between
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Probably the fingers in the lid are broken!

Best to wear gloves when attempting this, or it takes a week to clean the oil off your hands....
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

RichardW wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 19:46 Probably the fingers in the lid are broken!

Best to wear gloves when attempting this, or it takes a week to clean the oil off your hands....

I could see an array of fingers inside it, didn't look broken to me but I'll look closer next oil change.

Although I generally do use latex gloves, I can highly recommend Comma's Manista. I think it was Jim turned me onto it and I haven't looked back!
Bick

Post by Bick »

Dont screw it all the way out Mike until the filter has drained - just about the last thread and you will hear it draining leave to drain - no mess
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Bick wrote: 29 Jun 2017, 20:29 Dont screw it all the way out Mike until the filter has drained - just about the last thread and you will hear it draining leave to drain - no mess

Aha, that's the knack is it? Thanks, will remember that and see how it goes. I'll also put a beach towel below it next time, the common rag I used last tme just didn't have a chance :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must admit, on my 207 it's never been an issue. Give it a good tug with a gloved hand and it comes out a treat...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...