Peugeot 305 1.3 Petrol engine clicking noise

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niki
My Cars: Peugeot 305 GL 1.3 Petrol

Peugeot 305 1.3 Petrol engine clicking noise

Post by Niki »

Hello everyone,

I have a Peugeot 305 1.3 Petrol (engine code XL5) 4 speed manual transmission year of production 1984 with 200000 km on it, it has been mine since new.

Yesterday I took it for a short drive and noticed a clicking sound from engine cylinder no.3 which continues to click when idling or in higher RPM, I was thinking that the Valves has come out off adjustment but when I went to Peugeot shop the last technician that knows these engines has retired.

I has done valve adjustment in other cars but I don`t know the clearances for this engine the intake and exhaust, if anybody knows please let me know this specifications, and do you think that are the valves or any other thing?

Thank you all.
Attachments
20170624_092831.jpg
IMG-1498061194958-V.jpg
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Re: Peugeot 305 1.3 Petrol engine clicking noise

Post by elma »

Cant help but thats a lovely 305. Well done keeping it in such good order, its the same age as me and i wish I'd aged as well as your car. Good luck with the repair.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't know that engine myself, but http://www.sehlin.com/bildata/peugeot/peug24.htm gives valve clearances. I would think that there should be a good manual available for that car.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome! Very nice looking car!

This: http://www.sehlin.com/bildata/peugeot/peug26.htm suggests 0.25mm exhaust / 0.1mm inlet.

Not familiar with this engine, but it looks pretty similar to the engine that was used in the Visa etc, although it was put in nearly horizontal. This is known for wrecking camshafts unfortunately... First thing I guess would be to get the rocker off and check the clearances, and for any obvious wear on the camshaft, and then take it from there.

Edit, beaten to it by xantia V6!!
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

These were notorious for wearing a hollow in the valve rockers (usually due to neglecting the oil changes) but it was possible to replace them in situ.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Niki

Post by Niki »

Thank you for your reply`s and kind words, I will first adjust valves and then start the engine if there is still a noise than it means the problem is deeper and probably hard to fix due to problem of finding spare parts and technicians that know what they are doing, as for oil change intervals that`s not my concern as if the owners manual says 5000 km I change it on 3000 km and always put the most expensive oil within the factory recommendation oil specs.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Hi Niki,A 305 now that brings back memories for me.
Gibbo is spot on when he says these engines wear a lump out of the rocker arms,the camshaft lobes will be worn as well. All you can do is adjust the valve clearances and see (or listen). inlet valve .10mm exhaust valve .25mm.
You will have two choices. Live with a tappety engine,nothing will happen it will just rattle for ever. OR? a major and expensive strip down.If you can get the parts that is? This is a job for an old school Peugeot mechanic who has had experience with these engines.There must be some in Kosovo ?
The guy in the UK for old Peugeot parts is Dean Hunter http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk/ or www.serie04.com (France) or https://www.franzose.de/en/Peugeot/ Germany
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Just one more thing Niki,
If you start looking for parts, The XL5 engine in a 304 is the same as your 305.so the rockers and camshaft will be the same.
Niki

Post by Niki »

Thank you Oldpug for your reply, I did adjust the valves and there isn`t noise in idle and low rpm but in high rpm you can still hear the clicking and that it`s not a happy engine, so this leads me to other opinions that I read on a Volvo forum for the same problem.

Can you tighten the vales more than factory specs 10 and 25 to 5 and 20 considering the fact that there is much more wear on engine components than factory supposed and the other fact is to put thicker oil from 10W/40 to 15W/40 or will it put a load on oil pump and destroy it leading to complete engine failure ?

Thank you for your time and sorry for bothering with old school technology.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

The noise is the worn rocker arm,there will be a concave bit worn into it by the camshaft lobe. Tightening the clearances will achieve nothing.As I said it will just rattle for ever,nothing will happen or blow up.Its an old and very tired engine,just live with it. All you can do is change the oil and filter,making sure you have the correct Peugeot oil filter.I would fill it up with classic 20/50 oil and add a can of thick fortifier,like Wynns or Forte or STP. I`m sure they have the stuff out there? its like thick treacle.
Your correct about the Volvo engine.That is the V6 engine that appeared in Volvo`s,Peugeot 604,and Renault 30`s.It was basically two three cylinder engines in a V with the same chain driven OHV cylinder head design as your 305. If my memory serves me correctly the rocker arms from that V6 engine are the same part number as your 305 ones.....0903.38.