307 1.4HDi Injector seals and pipes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

307 1.4HDi Injector seals and pipes

Post by doctle »

Another question. I believe I need to change an injector seal but will do the 4 when I get round to it. It's a 1.4 HDi I have a few questions. :-D Manual says to replace all fuel pipes this is going cost more than the car did is there any way to re-use the pipes? Do I need to replace the leak-off pipes? All seals and gaskets? This looks like it could become a very expensive job on an 80p copper washer!
Last edited by doctle on 12 Jun 2017, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Oh buggle
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Re: Injector seals

Post by ekjdm14 »

doctle wrote:Manual says to replace all fuel pipes this is going cost more than the car did

Even then it's a cheap car if you end up having to ;)

Having said that, I can't see why you'd need to as they look broadly similar to any other diesel injector pipes I've worked on & never had to replace one of those. It could be due to higher line pressure/higher torque to seal or similar on the common rail setup, but honestly I think you'll be alright. Added to that the fact that used sets of pipes seem to be selling for about £10-15 on ebay makes me think there's a reasonable chance of reusing them successfully.

I'd hang fire until you hear from someone with more expertise than me on whether that's correct or not, but in your position I'd probably give them a go if they don't appear damaged at the flare. Just be aware when working on common rail injection that the pressures involved are many times higher than mechanical injection & you emphatically must NEVER attempt to "crack off" an HP pipe to bleed, and be extremely careful when first cranking the engine after doing any work in that area. The fuel can easily spray right through your skin if you get anywhere near an HP leak. (also make sure any brackets/clips etc on the HP pipes are in place and done up before starting the engine, not sure on common rail but certainly on mechanical setups the brackets are strategically positioned to damp any resonance through the pipes that can cause cavitation of the fuel & damage to the pipes)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had my injectors fitted with new seals a while back and the existing pipes remained in place.
doctle

Post by doctle »

ekjdm14 wrote:
doctle wrote:Manual says to replace all fuel pipes this is going cost more than the car did

Even then it's a cheap car if you end up having to ;)

Ah but I live in Ireland and we import a lot things from the UK. Here's the sellers formula for say an item costing £1.00 The seller will get it at trade so say £0.80 which you multiply by three £2.40 + VAT @23% = £2.95 convert to euro €3.35 then just say it's a fiver]
Oh buggle
doctle

Re: 307 1.4HDi Injector seals and pipes

Post by doctle »

I don't have crows foot spanners either can I use an ordinary spanner?
Oh buggle