Xsara Picasso engine cuts out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mightymidget
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Diesel

Xsara Picasso engine cuts out

Post by mightymidget »

Hi everyone

1st time post and I'm hoping for some help / advice with my girlfriend's car (Xsara Picasso 1.6 Diesel 07 plate). When she is driving along the engine will just die. It can be restarted but will then cuts out soon after. Leave it for 5/10 minutes and then restart and you can drive a bit further! The car will idle fine when stationary.

I plugged in my ODB reader and pulled codes P0192 and P1351. P1351 seems to be glow plug related so I'm not too worried about that one, but P0192 showed as Fuel Rail pressure sensor circuit low input. I tried just clearing the codes and taking it for a test drive but it cut out again. I was planning on changing the fuel filter as my first point of call in case its clogged up but is there anything else I can check?

Cheers!

Martin
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xsara Picasso engine cuts out

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would look at the fuel regulator as well. I cannot offer any advise on where it is, but I have seen several threads here on this forum where HDi engines have been playing up, and replacing the regulator has resolved most of them.

When you change the fuel filter take a VERY good look in the filter housing. If you see tiny particles of brass it can mean the low pressure pump is on the way out, and if those particles get into the high pressure system it WILL complain!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: If you see tiny particles of brass it can mean the low pressure pump is on the way out, and if those particles get into the high pressure system it WILL complain!
I seem to recall that the 1.6 diesel doesn't have a LP pump, just a HP pump, which at least cuts out one line of enquiry.

Sounds electronic related rather than mechanical or air in fuel etc. Regulator or rail pressure sensor would be my first guess.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No lift pump on a 1.6 HDI - they are sensitive to the fuel filter; change it first and see what happens.
Richard W
mightymidget
My Cars: Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Diesel

Post by mightymidget »

Thank you guys for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers

Martin