Worn ignition lock replacement... 4 wires not 6 - SOLVED.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mervyn44
My Cars: 2007 Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 Hdi

Worn ignition lock replacement... 4 wires not 6 - SOLVED.

Post by Mervyn44 »

The ignition lock on my 2000 Peugeot 306 has finally worn out ( lock still engages but haven't been able to remove the key for over two months now!)

Anyway, I've figured out how to remove it (quite easy actually) but all the replacements I can find which claim to be compatible with my car have 6 wires on 3 connectors but mine only has 4 wires on 2 connectors! I can find locks which look the same which have the 4 wires but they claim to be for pre 1991 cars and the keys are solid plastic (no immobiliser chip or central locking).

If I could just replace the lock barrel part and swap the new key blades over to my old fobs then the job would be simple but the whole thing (lock barrel, ignition switch and wiring) seem to come together... and the wires always look a LOT shorter than mine!

Can I use the 6 wire version and just ignore one of the connectors? If so that would also simplify matters. Can I get the lock barrel and keys on their own? That would simplify matters even more!

Many thanks as always for any help, I really need to sort this yesterday as I partially removed the lock barrel today and now it won't go back in due to the worn mechanism :-0
Last edited by Mervyn44 on 08 Jun 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Worn ignition lock replacement... 4 wires not 6 - HELP!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that the 6 wire switch won't have the right connectors (don't know if it would physically fit).

Maybe someone can find the correct part number from your VIN
Mervyn44

Post by Mervyn44 »

Hi Gibbo and thanks for replying.

Yep that looks pretty much like mine except its for an earlier model and the keys don't have the central locking controls or immobiser transponder built in - so they won't start my car. If you read the listing they say it only covers models up to Feb 1997, my car is a 2000 model.

I can find plenty of Ebay listings stating they are compatible with my car, and they have the right keys too... but they all have six wires coming out of them and mine (like the link you posted) only has the four!

The other complication is that the wires on all models I can find (including the one you posted) are WAY too short. In my car the wires come out of the lock, feed down the steering column and connect behind the dashboard at knee level, so, assuming the wiring was correct, I'd still need to extend it by over a foot to make it stretch. The connectors do look the same though!

I have been googling and did find a post where another guy also had to lengthen the wires, but even doing that wouldn't solve my key issue, his car obviously didn't have an immobiliser.

There are workarounds. I could fit the one you highlighted (assuming the wiring is compatible... probably is), extend the wires and just tape my original spare key to the inside of the steering column housing to fool the immobiliser into disarming when I use the older style key in the lock. Alternatively I could fit it, extend the wires and then spend another tenner having new blades cut for my original keys to fit the new lock... but really, its a bit of a rigmarole, I'd prefer to just find the right one and be done with it.

If I thought that buying the six wire version with the proper keys would work by just ignored the extra wires then that would solve everything... that's what Id love to know. If I don't get any definitive info here I'll probably just try that and report back... who knows, the information might be helpful to somebody else in future.

- Mervyn.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Try the Peugeot dealers, they might just have some old stock they will be glad to sell off at any price.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mervyn44

Post by Mervyn44 »

I've already done that Gibbo, £125 +VAT!

And I'll hazard a guess that what they will be selling me is similar to what I can buy off ebay for 15 quid postage paid! I suspect that the listings on ebay are Chinese copies that will do the same job just as well (especially considering the car is 17 years old and on its last legs anyway... Don't tell it I said that, it has served our family well for many years and I've grown quite attached to it).

But there seems to be just two Chinese variants on offer, the four wire (which I need) with short wires and old keys (which are no use to me)... and the new six wire version (which may be incompatible) with similarly short wires and the new style key (which I need)!

I suspect that these Chinese ebay offerings are probably the most common fitments to Peugeot's and Citroen's, but my car does not fall within that category so I'll have to buy one and do some modification if I want to avoid being fleeced by the dealers.

- Mervyn.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pug only shows 1 type for facelift 306s and it's shown with 6 wires / 3 connectors. Earlier cars also only have one switch, also shown with 3 connectors. So, no idea what is fitted to yours!! Are you sure there isn't another wire hiding somewhere over the top?
Richard W
Mervyn44

Post by Mervyn44 »

Richard, I'm sure there are only four wires... otherwise this would be a routine replacement job. Not sure why my car is different but I will try to upload some snaps
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mervyn44 wrote:I've already done that Gibbo, £125 +VAT!

And I'll hazard a guess that what they will be selling me is similar to what I can buy off ebay for 15 quid postage paid! I suspect that the listings on ebay are Chinese copies that will do the same job just as well (especially considering the car is 17 years old and on its last legs anyway... Don't tell it I said that, it has served our family well for many years and I've grown quite attached to it).

But there seems to be just two Chinese variants on offer, the four wire (which I need) with short wires and old keys (which are no use to me)... and the new six wire version (which may be incompatible) with similarly short wires and the new style key (which I need)!

I suspect that these Chinese ebay offerings are probably the most common fitments to Peugeot's and Citroen's, but my car does not fall within that category so I'll have to buy one and do some modification if I want to avoid being fleeced by the dealers.

- Mervyn.

Don't take that as an answer be cheeky, go back and make them an offer, tell them they're never going to find another buyer.
That's of course if they have it in stock, won't work if they have to order it in.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

I'd imagine that the 6 wire one could be used, even if you had to rewire the thing to give the correct configuration. As long as you end up with power to the IGN/ACC circuit and the starter signal at the appropriate times it'd be ok. The extra wires on the 3 plug switch may be to do with separate switch contacts for the heater fan like in the Xantia so could be redundant.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
Mervyn44

Post by Mervyn44 »

OK, job done - phew!

Turned out to he a piece of cake, for anyone else facing this in future here is what you need to know...

As I assumed, and as suggested by ekjdm14, if you have a 4 wire setup like me then you can just use the 6 wire versions available and ignore the extra connector. Both varieties have black and grey connectors with the 6 wire version having an additional red one... if you don't need this one you can just tuck it away or remove it altogether and the rest will work just fine. I have included a photo showing my original unit and the new one now installed, everything else about them is identical... this lock/switch combination has been used in loads of different cars for many years and they all look pretty standard.

As for the keys...
If you have the immobiliser keys with central locking controls you will need to retain the plastic part because this contains a transponder chip which communicates with a receiver and allows the car to start (looks like a plastic collar that surrounds the lock barrel inside the steering column housing). If the two are not in close proximity when the key is turned the car will turn over but not fire up. Strangely enough I did discover that the transponder is only required once and the car will then start again without it... its only when the doors are locked/unlocked that the system reboots and you have to use it once again.

The blades on these keys are simplicity itself to remove, there is a small screw at the base of the blade which holds the two halves of the plastic casing together, once this is unscrewed the blade just pulls straight out... you don't even have to open the casing up.

I was prepared to hazard a guess that the blades in the solid (dumb) keys that came with the new lock were of the same pattern with the hilt just embedded in moulded plastic rather than retained by a screw. I hacksawed the moulded plastic handle in half along the moulding line and sure enough the key blades were identical complete with screw hole... so these just dropped straight into my old electronic key handle - easy peasy!

Now I have a new lock, together with two new key blades fitted to my original keys - so no need for key cutting or re-programming either... and all for the princely sum of £19.99. Over £100 saved - hooray :-)

Hope this was helpful - Mervyn.
Attachments
Ignition key blade relocation
Ignition key blade relocation
Peugeot/Citroen ignition wiring variants
Peugeot/Citroen ignition wiring variants
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Glad to hear it's worked out, just don't lose/chuck those old key blades away. Sod's law dictates that the moment you lose track of exactly where they are, the plip will lose sync and leave you locked out unless you have a key that fits the lock barrel. ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
Mervyn44

Post by Mervyn44 »

ekjdm14, my central locking already went south a few years ago so I fitted a new aftermarket system with a separate plipper. the wiring and receiver is located under the centre console in front of the gearstick, it was a bit of a pain figuring out the wiring as there wasn't much info online but its done now and works fine... it only cost a few quid too... as usual, the dealer wanted to charge me a fortune! I still have a spare key in case I need to operate the locks manually :-)

Another misnomer is that the original keys can only be programmed once, a key from another car won't work... this is incorrect, when my only working key began playing up the dealer wanted around £150 for a new one plus programming but I picked a second hand one up on ebay for a few quid and had it re-coded by a local locksmith. He did say it doesn't always work but its worth trying if you want to avoid being ripped off :-)

- Mervyn.
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Re: Worn ignition lock replacement... 4 wires not 6 - SOLVED.

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello I had the same problem for months with the 4 wire 2 plug and 6 wire 3 plug.

I found the 306 hdi some models where both kinds on mixed years. Then I got one of a gti6 in the end so I know the hdi and gti6 also had both kinds.

link
http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread ... #pid614258
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Re: Worn ignition lock replacement... 4 wires not 6 - SOLVED.

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Welshy_Pete wrote: 18 Jun 2017, 08:58 Hello I had the same problem for months with the 4 wire 2 plug and 6 wire 3 plug.

I found the 306 hdi some models where both kinds on mixed years. Then I got one of a gti6 in the end 4 wire 2 plug so I know the hdi and gti6 also had both kinds.

The 4 wire 2 plug seems to be rare to find now as well but makes no difference just use the 6 wire 3 plug now in future.

link
http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread ... #pid614258