How bad is oil in plug holes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

How bad is oil in plug holes

Post by stu9 »

05 C4 1.4 petrol, I was putting new plugs in (Bosch vr8) and noticed it, there's a bad stutter/miss when pulling away and general driving and thought duff plug/s and/or coil pack, after putting new ones in it's still the same.

But what's causing the oil?

Only other time I had it was a 525 years ago and was the rubber rocker gasket but don't if this the same...is it..
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: How bad is oil in plug holes

Post by demag »

Where is the oil, in the cylinders i.e. fouled plugs or actually in the plug holes around the plug insulator?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This is a common problem on the V6 engine and in one case stems from careless topping up/refiilling with oil but usually the cause is leaking camboxes...

Clean, fresh oil insulates but it's not a good idea to leave it be as once it becomes contaminated with dirt and mosture it will become conductive.

I find the best method of removal is to soak it out with absorbent rag and then once most is gone put some solvent (clutch/brake/carb cleaner etc.) in the plug well and then use an airline - wearing suitable PPE - to blow out and dry the plug well. Repeat until all oil is gone and do the same with the coil(s), coil to plug connectors/leads if they too are oily...

Then trace the cause of the leak...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Cheers guys....it's in both, although mainly on the threads of number 4 (on the right looking in) it's not a major puddle but it's there. I took out nearly new ngk's in favour of Bosch being honest think I wasted the money oh well. Yes I cleaned them out no airline though just elbow grease. I'll check in a couple of days and see if it's obvious where it's from.

Beginning to wish I'd kep the focus as it gave no trouble at all but fancied the coupe...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I would say seals and cambox gasket change first.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

I take it that's another name for the rocker gasket...what's the seals, is it a kit you get or buy separate..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stu, which engine is it? If it's the 1360cc ET3 - same as in my 207 - then the camboxes (rocker boxes) are sealed with silicone instant gasket stuff only so in effect there are no gaskets in the conventional sense...

If the camboxes are leaking then if it's at the top cover (lid) joint then it can easily be removed and resealed with new instant gasket goo.. Loctite 5980 or similar available from Halfrauds will be OK... Be very clean when doing this and remove every last trace of the old gasket goo.

However, if the lower cambox joint is leaking - the one against the cylinder head proper - then it's a camshaft out job to reseal it...

The Haynes manual - for the 207 at least - contains quite a good guide to this job.

Camshaft oil seals cannot leak into the plug wells...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Thanks Jim...yes I think it's the ET3 or KFU that right, I noticed you say if it's not the rocker it's the bottom ie head off ect. To be honest if it's that one it'll probably get sold as spares ect. How do tell what one it is?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No, it's not the head itself off Stu, just the camshafts out so you can take off and reseal the part of the cambox that has the cam bearing ladders in it...

You only need to lift the whole head if it is a bad oil leak from the front left-hand corner of the head to block joint. Most do weep and dribble a bit from there... It's something they inherited from their parents - the TU engine ;) In all my years of involvement with French cars I've only seen one TU/ET totally dry in that area!

Actually, having the head off is not too bad a job...

Fundamentally it's an excellent little engine - as was its TU predecessor... One of PSA's best.
Jim

stu9

Post by stu9 »

Thanks again for that Jim....yep I've got the oil on the left too but also could do with the belt and w/pump ect but when I saw oil in the plugs I said bugger it that's it. I got the car for buttons because it had a water leak from looked like the pump but it's not done it since getting it and I've kept it topped up ect and using it so I'm kinda stumped.

I don't want to spent a lot on it not when it's only a 1.4.
stu9

Post by stu9 »

CitroJim wrote:Camshaft oil seals cannot leak into the plug wells...

Jim I just noticed this in part of your reply.....if it's not that, what one is it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

stu9 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Camshaft oil seals cannot leak into the plug wells...

Jim I just noticed this in part of your reply.....if it's not that, what one is it?

I don't know Stu... I'll have a look at mine and have a think about it later today ;)
Jim

stu9

Post by stu9 »

Cheers : )

What gets me though is the amount of folk that's probably read this having had the same problem or read about it but not said, especially if it's that common.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

stu9 wrote: What gets me though is the amount of folk that's probably read this having had the same problem or read about it but not said, especially if it's that common.

That's life Stu :twisted:
Jim

stu9

Post by stu9 »

Any news on what seal/s it is Jim