C5 2.0 Hdi (110bhp) emission/engine running gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

C5 2.0 Hdi (110bhp) emission/engine running gremlins

Post by wurlycorner »

Ok guys, not posted in a while, the C5 has been plodding on in service generally admirably, but has had its moments over the last few months!

Firstly (minor one-off);
On a drive in pissing rain about 6 months ago, all of a sudden the low fuel warning beep/message display came on and I looked down to see the fuel gauge reading zero.
I knew it shouldn't have been that low (had only been driving about 20 minutes and left with at least a quarter of a tank) so pulled over to see if anything had holed the tank/lines.
No signs of leaks, restarted the car, still zero fuel showing, so limped to the next garage and topped up. I only put in about another £20 (so quarter/third of a tank?) restarted and the gause was suddenly working fine and showing it had over half a tank in it. Hasn't played up at all since. This one puzzles me a bit. I could understand a float switch sticking when the tank has gone empty (or full!) but not just randomely failing during the middle of a drive?

Secondly (minor but persistent);
On a run around town, when holding the engine at very low throttle, it hessitant. I can feel the engine shunting in its mounts as if mis-firing.
Exterior temp has no relevance (it's been like it through winter, spring and now summer) and it does it on cool/warm/hot engine.
Not run a lexia session recently but last time I did one (when this had already started happening) only faults logged were the usual cold start relay and intermittent comm 2000 faults (neither of which actually cause me any problems!)
Any thoughts?

Thirdly (this was a major worry but cured itself?);
A couple of months ago, I noticed I was leaving a trail of black smoke behind me when accelerating or just cruising. Didn't seem to make any difference whether the engine was under load or not. Car otherwise seemed to be drive as normal, although the turbo seemed a little noisy.
Drove home, parked up and asked the mrs to rev the engine while I watched the exhaust and yep, it was smoking (black/sooty) when being revved. No fault light or messages flashing up on screen though.

Left it for the day (out of time) and only used it a couple of times during the next week for short runs, on which it seemed to be normal. I assumed there was a split/something loose on the inlet system or the turbo to be on its way out.
The next weekend I stripped down the inlet system from throttle body to turbo, expecting to find either split/loose joint or it full of oil/gunk. Nothing. All nice and tight and clear, except, it looks, for right inside the inlet manifold.Some pics (everyone like pics, right? :-D )

Intercooler nice and clean;
Although interesting it does seem to have a couple of loose rubber rings around the core? (can see slightly better in this photo with the focus changed);
I don't think that's anything to worry about though...

Here's the view through the throttle body;
And zoomed in at the back, you can see the gunk collection;

Unfortunately I couldn't get under the car properly enough to take off the rest of the connections at the turbo, to check for play.
It's not smoked again since, oil usage seems normal (non existent) but the turbo does sound more noisy.

Any thoughts?
Linked to the top issue (hesitation) maybe?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Kevinseven
My Cars: Citroen c4 and c5 wagon 2009

Re: C5 2.0 Hdi (110bhp) gremlins

Post by Kevinseven »

Hi
I have two 2lt petrol Citroen's c4 andc5 both have gone through a period were they were hesitant after slowing down to go around corners and roundabouts
You would put your foot down and it wound take at least 3 seconds to take off
The first time we change the plugs added petrol clearer made no difference some one said try to reset the computer we did and it fixed it that was on the c4
When the c5 started to do it we whent straight to the computer again it fixed it . But took a week the dealer cleared the computer and could not reset it it had to be done by France during the night
Not quite sure if it is the same fault as you are having
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.0 Hdi (110bhp) emission/engine running gremlins

Post by wheeler »

wurlycorner wrote:Ok guys, not posted in a while, the C5 has been plodding on in service generally admirably, but has had its moments over the last few months!

Firstly (minor one-off);
On a drive in pissing rain about 6 months ago, all of a sudden the low fuel warning beep/message display came on and I looked down to see the fuel gauge reading zero.
I knew it shouldn't have been that low (had only been driving about 20 minutes and left with at least a quarter of a tank) so pulled over to see if anything had holed the tank/lines.
No signs of leaks, restarted the car, still zero fuel showing, so limped to the next garage and topped up. I only put in about another £20 (so quarter/third of a tank?) restarted and the gause was suddenly working fine and showing it had over half a tank in it. Hasn't played up at all since. This one puzzles me a bit. I could understand a float switch sticking when the tank has gone empty (or full!) but not just randomely failing during the middle of a drive?

The sender in the tank is only used to take a tank level reading on first start up. Once you are driving the injection ECU calculates fuel usage theoretically. It doesn't always get it right, thats why sometimes just switching the ignition off for a few minutes then back on again 'resets' the gauge. If its getting a bit glitchy do a BSI reset.
Xsaras & Xsara Picassos are particularly bad for this. I my old Xsara you could drive for 10 miles with the fuel warning light on then stop at a shop for 5 minutes then the fuel gauge would jump back up to a quarter tank.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the info on that, had no idea that's how the fuel gauge worked!

Thanks also for the reply Kevin, although mine is a diesel, so cause won't be the same as you experienced on a petrol.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Only ever had a surprise with mine the once, at a Chevrons rally.
When I arrived there was just under a quarter tank indicated and I was all set to find the closest fuel station when leaving.
When I started it up to leave, there was just over half a tank, got me home with ease and lasted a few more days after that.