bx heater control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

bx heater control

Post by mark_sp »

Having failed to both sell or give away the bx tzd estate I've been re-evaluating it, costing the repair work. There is one job I'm not sure of (which has arisen while the car has been laid up since November).
The heater heat control got progressively stiffer until it was completely seized. I've dismantled the underside of the facia and at the tap end of the cable the lever can be manually moved but it's quite stiff.
Is a new tap unit required ? and what sort of job is it ?
Further complication is that the control panel at the dash end has started to break up so this will need repairing/replacing.
Cheers
Mark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Usually it's possible to work some silicone spray into the tap - freeing it up again.
Dash bits broken means a trip to the breakers.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Here's another thought on the control that I find has worked a treat.
Alan S [:D]
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/heater.htm
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

ALAN
If I go ahead and repair the car this is definately the way I'll go with the heater control.
ANDERS
could you expand in the Silicon spray application please, does the tap have to be removed first ?
Presumably as the tap is still workable by hand (but too stiff for the original control) Alans mod would allow more force to be applied anyway ?
Thanks chaps
Mark
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

simply try work the tap by hand - while you spray/brush some silicone on to the tap - don't try dismantle it.
Alan's modification is more sturdy than the factory setup - but a stuck tap may break such a lever anyway.
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

The recesses in the control valve get filled up with 'gunge'. Try operating the lever back anfd forth a number of times. On myold GTi the control needed regular operation to keep the valve clear.
If you want to see what the valve looks like have a look here
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/H ... 0Valve.jpg
Bob
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Cheers Bob
Mark