turbo diesel economy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

turbo diesel economy

Post by ohms69 »

I've just calculated the MPG of my BX TZD and to be honest I'm amazed!
I knew it was pretty economical but didn't quite realise it was to this extent. I've been to Kent today and have covered 450 miles mainly motorway driving. I didn't drop below 80 at any point and sat at 95mph all the way along the M40! A little bit naughty I know, but everybody else seemed to be doing the same(safety in numbers I guess!).
Anyway, the BX has returned an astonishing 48mpg. This is amazing because a lot of the time I was flat out to speed up!
I also did the wjhole trip on ALDI vegetable oil and believe it or not the car is definitely quicker on this stuff than pump diesel...How can this be?
What MPG do you get with your TD?[:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You think thats good. I was at work on Friday a bit bored (well at lot really).I worked out my average MPG for the month and it came up as 52MPG. Thats nearly 12MPG than the old Vauxhall Astra I had 2 years ago and that was newer than my old ZX TD.
BTW where you'd get that veggie oil from, sorry to appear dim.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

He said Aldi veg oil, about 47p per litre (1 litre containers) at our local branch.
I would be tempted but veg oil in a HDI sounds dodgy to me.
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Did you add anything to the cooking oil? I would like to try cooking oil in my 2.1 XM TD (with Bosch mechanical injection) I don't suppose for a minute I will get 48mpg as the XM weighs in at 1.5 tons and your BX is flyweight in comparison. The best mpg I have managed is 47 on a long run and 39 mpg in town. My girlfriend's Peugeot 309 normal aspirated diesel does 55+ mpg but handles and accelerates like the Pope in full regalia!
first-things-first

Post by first-things-first »

Hi Doc
Haven't seen you around these parts lately.
Mark C's brother here. I have officially become one of the "chosen", last June, (probably for a life of misery) to buy an XM - 2.5 TD saloon.
I know someone [8)] who tried Tesco at 39 p/litre. Chucked in 6 litres for a test. Worked fine (Bosch electronic pump). I think the main problem is waxing at low temperatures. Should be OK if you have a fuel line heater. Didn't notice a whole heap of difference but engine reacted same as always - no worse. No difference starting.
I'll PM you as you may be able to help me with some work on the old girl. [:D]
Cheers
Andrew
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

I added nothing, I just went into my local ALDI and filled a trolley with 70 litres of the stuff.
To be fair this is the first time I've run the BX on veg oil. I ran my xantia on the stuff for 12 months with no additive at all and had absolutely no problems what so ever.
It's a little reluctant to run first thing in the morning but I just leave it to idle for a couple of minutes before pulling away and then it's fine.
Is it only 39p a litre at Tescos? I'll have to go there...the cheaper the better!
A friend buys diesel from the local scrapyard, mainly the dregs from the tanks of the cars they get in...Dirt cheap!
[:D]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

[quote]<i>Originally posted by ohms69</i>

I've just calculated the MPG of my BX TZD and to be honest I'm amazed!
Don´t wish to be a wet blanket, but if your BX is anything like my TZD was, and also like my present Xantia 2.1, both the clocks read 5% over.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

When running on new veg oil from the shops, does it smell bad enough for people to notice?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:p] Mmmmmmmmmmmm....... [:p] fish & chips round the corner ? [:p]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Precisely. I don't mind trying veg oil but I don't want the car to give the game away - or continue to smell after I have changed back to the legal stuff...
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

is it illegal?
so it works fine as a substitute for diesel...just pour it in the tank??
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Interesting...is it as easy as that? Lob it in? In which case, is there a "thinning down" ratio that's prefered (like 1:2, 1:4 crisp'n'dry to diesel)?
Better than carrying around a jerry can of diesel, I suppose...you can't fry chips in diesel either!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

is it illegal?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, unless you pay the road fuel tax on it over to customs & excise. That would make it more expensive than conventional derv, so it would sort of defeat the object.
I wonder if cheap motor oil (the supermarket "£1.99 for 5 litres of 20-50 grade" stuff) would make a better substitute for diesel than cooking oil ?? (Also illegal for road use though.)
XUD engines will run on practically anything 'oily'.
As an experiment I once ran a BX 1.9 engine on a mixture of turpentine and engine oil. It appeared to run fine, but it was being scrapped the next day so I wasn't too concerned about any long-term damage.
The question is whether it will harm the injector pump?
Nick
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I once saw a Top Gear programme where they filled a Volvo 760 TD with cooking oil and white spirit. Can't remember what the ratio was. In any case the car ran normally with no side effects apart from the slight chip smell. What worries me is stories of people getting their cars confiscated by Customs and Excise after they detected a chip smell from the back end. Because of this I may carry a sealed bag of chips only to be opened in an emergency i.e a Police tug and try to convince them they can smell me dinner and not the 17 gallons of Crisp N' Dry in the tank!.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I am thinking of using veg oil but.........
can I just stick in 3-4 litres every month and forget about it or do I have to stick anything else in with it ? I only have to travel a short distance to work ( A full tank lasts a month)
I will inform customs& excise (now where did I put there number)[:D][:D]
It just seems to good to be true.