Xantia: key light flashing and beeping

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Xantia: key light flashing and beeping

Post by davoxx »

I have 2 HDi Xantias with the key light flashing and beeping which won't start.
I presume there is an issue with the immobiliser, is there much I can do without a lexia?

I have another HDi which starts, what would I need to swap to get the dead one started?
why?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xantia: key light flashing and beeping

Post by wheeler »

Not necessarily a fault with the immobiliser, the engine ECU may not be powered up & this will also cause the key light to flash.
Things you can do without lexia are check the inertia switch has not been tripped.
Check all the fuses.
Unplug the MAF & check all the pins with a voltmeter with the ignition on, do you have a 5v & a 12v feed ? if so then the ECU is powered up.
As far as your other car goes you would nee to swap the injection ECU, the CPH (behind the glovebox) & you would also need a transponder chip from one of the keys.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

I had similar situation a few years ago. It turned out to be an intermittent connection on the 'aerial' surrounding the ignition key barrel. When that happens the immobiliser will not 'see' the key and hence refuses to allow an engine start.

Solution was to remove the cowling around the key barrel and carefully check the wiring, it was a loose connection.
Fortunately removal of this cowling on mk2 Xantia does not involve removing the steering wheel as it does on the mk1 although it is still a bit of a faff.

Good luck.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

There is no voltage to all but the last pin which reads 1.5v of ground.

I dunno if this makes a difference, but the key left in ignition warning works.

Also have a series 1 activa that won't start, i have the code and seems like it is not getting fue, I checked all fuses and relays to no avail.
I have another series 1 activa that does start, do I just need to swap the ecu to test if the dead one car will start?
why?
Supernaut
My Cars: 2000 W Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi SX
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

electronmirror wrote:I had similar situation a few years ago. It turned out to be an intermittent connection on the 'aerial' surrounding the ignition key barrel. When that happens the immobiliser will not 'see' the key and hence refuses to allow an engine start.

Solution was to remove the cowling around the key barrel and carefully check the wiring, it was a loose connection.
Fortunately removal of this cowling on mk2 Xantia does not involve removing the steering wheel as it does on the mk1 although it is still a bit of a faff.

Good luck.

Interesting...

I have a Mk2 HDi, which very occasionally fails to start, with the key light flashing and beeping. I just turn the ignition off then on again, and away I go.

It does, however, show other symptoms of a dodgy connection somewhere, namely the speed of the interior fan varying by itself sometimes. I've had other people suggest the ignition switch with regards to the interior fan.

I think I need to look at the connections on the back of the key barrel then!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

The fan problem is likely unrelated and due to either needing the "relay mod" (or said mod doing better than it has been) or new brushes in the fan motor itself.

The transponder aerial is separate from the ignition switch, it's just a black plastic "sleeve" over the outside of the barrel with very thin wires plugged into it.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

Without hi-jacking the thread, do you have a link to the relay mod?

However, my fan is squeaking slightly, so I suspect it's just goosed. I found out through ebay that you can get a fan from a Range Rover, but I'll double-check part numbers before ordering.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Certainly, it's in the stickies at the top of the page under XANTIA BLOWER WORKING INTERMITTENTLY ;)

The brushes can be replaced in the fan, and it has been done with success on the forum before. Thread hijackery is par for the course on here & IMO the forum is a better and more useful place for it. All the same, apologies for the OT Dave & hope it's just the aerials on your pair of HDi's
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Supernaut
1995 M BMW 316i SE

Post by Supernaut »

ekjdm14 wrote:Certainly, it's in the stickies at the top of the page under XANTIA BLOWER WORKING INTERMITTENTLY ;)

The brushes can be replaced in the fan, and it has been done with success on the forum before. Thread hijackery is par for the course on here & IMO the forum is a better and more useful place for it. All the same, apologies for the OT Dave & hope it's just the aerials on your pair of HDi's

I don't think it's the brushes though. The bearings at each end of the motor look rusty. I actually got some white Lithium grease into the bearings, and that quietened it down for a week or so, then the squeak came back. As I said, I think it's goosed. The bearings seem to be the sealed type, so not easily serviceable.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

i checked the wiring for the barrel, the sense if key is near ignition works.
there is no power to MAF, so i guess there is a fundamental issue with the ECU.
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

So after fiddling with the ecu and double relay and loads of contact spray, one started!!
The other no longer has the flashing key symbol, but still won't start.
why?
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Now we're making progress, glad to hear it :) is this the pair of HDi Activae you're working on? Really wish I could offer a home to both of those, they sound like they could be the best of both worlds. Decent power/torque and economy coupled with legendary handling and comfort (only way they could improve IMHO is if the base car to fit both HDi and activa system to was either a CX or XM)

I'd have one manual and one automatic...

Dreaming aside, have you got any power to the ECU now on the non-runner? If fiddling with the Bitron/wiring has resulted in a change but no improvement the fault has to lie in something you've moved.

Perhaps double check the voltage (AND current available, with a 21w test lamp) to the double relay in that car & if that tests good try swapping a relay from a runner. Really hope to see these pair saved and kept within the forum as I would love to know what they turn out to be like in real-world driving.
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

ekjdm14 wrote:Now we're making progress, glad to hear it :) is this the pair of HDi Activae you're working on? Really wish I could offer a home to both of those, they sound like they could be the best of both worlds. Decent power/torque and economy coupled with legendary handling and comfort (only way they could improve IMHO is if the base car to fit both HDi and activa system to was either a CX or XM)

Yup my crushed dreams, and obivously the one that won't start is the better of the two with dark interior roof.
there are some plugs not plugged in - J802 L802 H802
ekjdm14 wrote: Dreaming aside, have you got any power to the ECU now on the non-runner? If fiddling with the Bitron/wiring has resulted in a change but no improvement the fault has to lie in something you've moved.

Perhaps double check the voltage (AND current available, with a 21w test lamp) to the double relay in that car & if that tests good try swapping a relay from a runner. Really hope to see these pair saved and kept within the forum as I would love to know what they turn out to be like in real-world driving.

Tried the relay from a running one.
I'm not sure what is the best way to test if the ECU has voltage.
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

So it's a fuel pump issue on the HDi Activa - took the lift pump out - clunk is what it makes.

How do I clean/fix it up? i can't figure how to pull off the pipe at the bottom.
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

swapped the fuel pump with one that works for now, still not starting!!! argh!!

fuel gets to fuel filter under bonnet. relays seem to click.
it has 12v and 6v at the MAF.

What am i missing??
why?