bx suspension stuck

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ohms69

bx suspension stuck

Post by ohms69 »

Hi all,
After the performance with my TZD's shot struts and the fact that a clutch replacement was inevitable I decided to purchase a ZX...Or atleast I did until I found another TZD BX estate that had had 2 owners from new, FSH, 12 months MOT, 6 months tax and 5 new spheres all round. The best thing is that everything works, and that includes all of the instrument and heater control bulbs! Plus, it came with unmarked ZX volcane alloys with brand new low profile Uniroyals[:)]
Anyway the car has that magic carpet ride and feels altogether less worn than my previous car...Although, there is a problem!
When putting the car in the full height position, it goes up sweet as a nut but is reluctant to come back down at the back. The front goes down immediately but the rear seems to hang around forever...Any ideas?
Thanks in advance chaps
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Could perhaps be the swing arm bearings starting to bind up with corrosion or another possibility that catches a lot out (including mechanics) is the adjustment rod (front to back) being slightly out of adjustment & thereby not telling the H/C it's time to come down.
I'll get under one of my cars with a camers one of these days & take some pics of this thing as more people have problems with this than actually realise it.
Haynes does show a fairly comprehensive article on the adjustment settings & where to find them but as always, they should only be done over a pit to reduce hances of getting squashed.
Alan S
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks Alan,
I don't think it's the rear swing arm bearings because I tried pushing the back end down and the struts were still under pressure.
I'll take a look under the car tomorrow and make sure the adjustment is as it should be.
I've just timed the PR ticks and they seem to be about 2 minutes apart. Does this sound acceptable?
The LHM has just been changed by the chap I purchased the car off, but I would really like to run some Hydracauringe through the system(mainly to use up the bootle I've got in the garage) do you think this would be worthwhile or should I just leave it until the LHM needs changing again. Bearing in mind the fact that all spheres have just been changed, could this do more harm then good?
All the best
Bryn
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Bryn -
Running hydracleanse in the system can not harm the spheres.
The rear height setting problem is more than likely caused by sticking linkages to the HC.
The 2 minutes PR tick interval is just about perfect.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If the ride height valve is jammed it can sometimes be freed by nudging the central spool or some part connected to it, it lives in the centre of the height corrector, one side has a black rubber "drum skin" the drum skin may be prised off and a liberal squirt of WD40 etc applied here, and the reverse is connected to the linkage via what ia can only describe as a miniature tow hitch, if this is disconnected the car will tend to rise to full height and stay there, check it has not become disconnected, if it has not then WITH THE VEHICLE SECURELY SUPPORTED give the central part a nudge, it may shift and normal height be restored.
Stewart
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks for the imput, I'll check it out at some point over the week.
One more thing...
This new BX doesn't appear to drop when left overnight. All of my previous hydraulic citroens drop, but this one doesn't. I even tried pushing down on the back end but it just bounces back up.
Is this a good or bad thing?
Thanks again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

DEFINATELY a good thing [8D]
the wellknown rearsink is NOT supposed to be so - but it's more the rule than not.
ohms69

Post by ohms69 »

Thanks Anders you've put my mind well and truly at ease.
It's amazing how stressful ownership of a hydraulic citroen can be![;)]
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

Had the same thing with my XM. Front would rise but not the back then from highest position to normal, the front would sink and the rear would stay in the air. On advice AND with the car on axle stands, I cleaned and lubed the HC and all the links and rods. The car then behaved as it should.