Non ABS Relay/Boxer has ABS light on!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroen Surf Bus
My Cars: Citroen Relay LWB 2.2 Hdi turbo 2003.

Non ABS Relay/Boxer has ABS light on!!

Post by Citroen Surf Bus »

Had trouble MOTing my 2003 Citroen Relay because the ABS light is on - which is annoying because it doesn't even have ABS brakes!

Anyone tech -headed enough to know what's going on - and how to get rid of the stupid thing? Is there a fuse I can pull?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Non ABS Relay/Boxer has ABS light on!!

Post by Paul-R »

Are you sure it doesn't have ABS?

Far be it for me to suggest this but I have heard of naughty people taking the instrument binnacle out and putting black tape over the offending LED. Don't ask me how I know this but it usually needs two or three layers to blank it out.

EDIT

Actually I think this might not work as the MOT inspector needs to see the ABS light come on and then go off. But if you really don't have ABS then it wouldn't flash on and then off would it?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A quick check on servicebox with the VIN will confirm if it originally had ABS or not.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Paul-R wrote:Are you sure it doesn't have ABS?

Far be it for me to suggest this but I have heard of naughty people taking the instrument binnacle out and putting black tape over the offending LED. Don't ask me how I know this but it usually needs two or three layers to blank it out.

EDIT

Actually I think this might not work as the MOT inspector needs to see the ABS light come on and then go off. But if you really don't have ABS then it wouldn't flash on and then off would it?

I Pretty much echoed Paul's reply to this question also posted in the Citroen area. Surely the MoT chap has the data in front of him on a vehicle-by-vehicle basis anyway for the test so perhaps it should have ABS if he didn't pass it?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Citroen Surf Bus
My Cars: Citroen Relay LWB 2.2 Hdi turbo 2003.

Post by Citroen Surf Bus »

Apologies to all who replied for my late response - forgot I don't get email notifications.

Still a mystery why this light is on in my van - though it definitely doesn't have abs hubs, (just replaced one!) sensors or wiring. I will have to work on the symptom as suggested!

Thanks to all for advice.