Windscreen Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
User avatar
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
Posts: 1168
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 17:24
x 228

Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Anyone got a reference for the correct windscreen wiper size (fronts) on my 405?

Visiting the factors today, the fella helpfully looked it up, even though I advised that to the best of my knowledge its always had 19's on it and I was somewhat surprised that it's supposed to be a 22"....

...I'm not confident that's correct, but a bigger swept area is no bad thing (although having tried that with the rear one a while back its extremities aren't in contact with the glass).

Its not really something that you can 'try before you buy' so anyone able to confirm this or not?

Or.... anyone able to advise a common vehicle application for a 22" wiper (old type), I'll find a couple next time I'm parts hunting at the scrappies, see what they're like for 'sweep' if not clearing before I lay out a tenner-ish for new uns that I might not be happy with.
Attachments
IMG_3943.JPG
Puxa
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by white exec »

Having used Bosch wiper blades for years, and been disappointed when quality seemed to take a dive, I have (for the last 3 or 4 years) started using Denso blades (or replacement rubbers), which are fitted as standard to Toyota vehicles. These are superb quality, and survive exposure to killing sun out here. Available in all the usual lengths: just find a Toyota somewhere, and measure them, if you want something to quote. Or take your existing blade/holder to one of their parts counters.

:idea:
Also, a tip, to prolong wiper blade life, and avoid them becoming "set" so that they then judder:
If the car is going to sit unused for a few days, prop up the wiper arm with a wine cork, so that the rubber is not left resting (and angled) on the glass. Again, particularly effective where it's sunny, so maybe of no interest to the UK. Rioja corks work particularly well, I can tell you. :drink:
Last edited by white exec on 11 Apr 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
User avatar
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
Posts: 1168
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 17:24
x 228

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

lol, thanks Chris. I'm very pleased to say that, seeing as I drink infrequently, I get 'happy' very quickly & cheaply. This does sadly mean that Corks are in short supply but am sure I can find a substitute....

never tried Rioja; like a Merlot. Not keen on that modern Prosecco stuff, seems a lot like a lot of lagers these days; lacking in taste [....hmm, could say that about myself I guess !] Or maybe I'm just being 'old'.

Also for the tip about brands, I wouldn't've been pleased to shell out 'extra for quality' (not as rare as you might think) and not get it. If memory serves me correctly, the previous wipers came from Wilkinsons, not that long ago. They have to live with the british weather, but one blade is shot and both have rust on the pivots.
Puxa
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by white exec »

No shortage of good wine here. Duty on a bottle in Spain is about 10 €-cents; in UK iirc it's about £2.30.
Lidl here (something of a favourite with FCF, it seems) do a splendid red called Cepa Lebrel (Joven - young), a white label, at €1.79 a bottle. They do a Cepa Lebrel Reserva (grey label) at €3.99, but it's not as good. Lash out at €9, and you'll be buying something a bit special.

Sainsbury's in UK normally stock a really good red called Sangre de Toro, by Torres. It is excellent; the Reserva even more so. Torres is one of the oldest and largest Spanish wine producers. If you like something white and very fruity, with an aroma of elderflower, try Torres' Esmerelda, if you can get it. About €6-something a bottle here.

Don't get me going about Spanish sherries. What we have learnt is that the Brits get it all wrong with the pale Croft Original (was made for the British market, by Gonzalez-Byass [Tio Pepe] in Jerez). This MUST be drunk cold....on ice, that is. One or two cubes in a sherry glass, and it's something else!

I could be a good way collect a few corks... :wink:
Chris
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8391

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: I could be a good way collect a few corks... :wink:


:lol: A very peasant way indeed :)
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
Paul-R
Moderating Team
Posts: 9343
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 1942

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by Paul-R »

Peasant? Vin-de-paysan will be a bit rough methinks.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson
User avatar
white exec
Posts: 7445
Joined: 21 Dec 2015, 12:46
x 1751

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by white exec »

Peasant? Moi????? 8-[
OK, if the Boss says so...
Chris
User avatar
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
Posts: 1168
Joined: 22 Apr 2013, 17:24
x 228

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Unread post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

white exec wrote: Denso blades.... superb quality


Thanks for this Chris, have now established that the fella in the factors was correct, and I've been using the wrong blades for donkeys years (no great issue ofc).

Got a 56cm Denso on order, 5 & a half squid... dammit, if I didn't need one I could afford another bottle of wine :rofl2: It'll more than likely be followed soon after by a second one
Puxa