C5 suspension drops when I park up for hours

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nagy592
My Cars: Citroen C5 SX 2.0 HDI Estate

C5 suspension drops when I park up for hours

Post by nagy592 »

Hi All I was reading topics in the last two days and I did not found any similar problem at all that's why I started a new one.
So I have a Citroen C5 SX Estate 2.0 Hdi and apart from a couple of small issues like tailgate window switch, starter motor, worked very well so far. I had a known issue from day one (two years ago) when I torn the steering wheel close to the end position, whichever direction, the front suspension lifts and drops frequently. Of course when the engine is on and the car is stationery. I did not found this thing too bad as easy to avoid from it.
I just tell it because it may linked to the recently developed problem. When I park the car for a few hours it drops the level noticeably. As soon I open the door or lock/unlock it the pump kicks on and rise it to the normal level. I have enough liquid in the reservoir and also everything is dry underneath the car., I tried to monitor ho long it takes to sank with not much luck. I think at leas an hour when it is more than used to.
I've checked on Lexia but no issue detected, rater than power window switch issue or radio aerial issue.
I was tending to get a second hand hydraulic pump and replace it and see what happening but not many C5 wreck in NZ so it makes a bit complicated.
I would much appreciated any advise on this as I ran out of ideas.
Cheers
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 suspension drops when I park up for hours

Post by myglaren »

nagy592 wrote:Hi All I was reading topics in the last two days and I did not found any similar problem at all that's why I started a new one.
So I have a Citroen C5 SX Estate 2.0 Hdi and apart from a couple of small issues like tailgate window switch, starter motor, worked very well so far. I had a known issue from day one (two years ago) when I torn the steering wheel close to the end position, whichever direction, the front suspension lifts and drops frequently. Of course when the engine is on and the car is stationery. I did not found this thing too bad as easy to avoid from it.
A lot of C5 users have observed this and it is said to be to do with the suspension geometry combined with hydraulics and nothing to be concerned about.
I should really see if mine does this.
I just tell it because it may linked to the recently developed problem. When I park the car for a few hours it drops the level noticeably. As soon I open the door or lock/unlock it the pump kicks on and rise it to the normal level. I have enough liquid in the reservoir and also everything is dry underneath the car., I tried to monitor ho long it takes to sank with not much luck. I think at leas an hour when it is more than used to.
I've checked on Lexia but no issue detected, rater than power window switch issue or radio aerial issue.
I was tending to get a second hand hydraulic pump and replace it and see what happening but not many C5 wreck in NZ so it makes a bit complicated.
I would much appreciated any advise on this as I ran out of ideas.
Cheers

While they all will drop slightly - mine usually drops about half an inch overnight - it sounds like a leaking return valve to me but it could be one of the rams leaking into the boot, which will then return the fluid to the reservoir when the car is running.
You could try squeezing the rear boots to see if you can feel any excess fluid in either of them, once the car is at it's lowest.
You should be able to start the car and raise the suspension to access the boot without it pumping the fluid back to the reservoir immediately.
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply, the first one is fine as I said, and I used to have the same small drop overnight or whatever long I parked but it is changed a lot now. I will check the boots tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Cheers
RP
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you find that the tailgate switch has failed you can still get them from Citroen and Peugeot (the 407 shares some components). However, it is not cheap at around £40.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

Hi James, I already ordered from ebay, for less than the half, on it's way now. I'm afraid the problem with the pump unit, that will cost lot more.
Cheers RP
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

I found both strut rubber boot is broken (on the front) and the rod itself is completely exposed to dirt or dust. I called the local dealer and ordered a pair so I can replace the tomorrow. Is this could cause the level drop when the car stationery? Also is there anything else what I should check or repair when I doing the boots (gaiter), like replace seals in the strut?
Cheers
RP
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

I replaced the two gaiter , didn't take too long approximately 10 minutes per side. What I noticed when I drained the fluid that was quite foamy. Is it normal or that is the sign of something? Anyway I tested and it seems to be even worst than before. It dropped within an hour and almost down to the end position. Any toughs? Cheers RP
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if one or more spheres are on their way out? If one has ruptured it will have leaked nitrogen into the system.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

That would make sense but doesn't mean it will be a quick way to die? I drove the car today and it is just fine...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Foam is normally a sign of a ruptured sphere.

I would remove all the spheres and have them tested, nothing lasts forever.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
nagy592

Post by nagy592 »

Is the faulty sphere wouldn't affect the ride quality?