wiring up towbar on berlingo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Garren
My Cars:

wiring up towbar on berlingo

Post by Garren »

I am just put a towbar on my berlingo and have been told to be careful with wiring it up WHY i have done lots of wiring up before on old cars and had no worrys i know new car have comupter on then know if any one can help it would be great
i have a 03 1.9 berlingo the shape[:D][?][?]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Wiring is not as simple on modern cars as it was earlier models. My 1998 Xantia was OK - just the same as all my previous cars. Now the car makers use multiplex wiring. The Berlingo is probably one of these. The Xsara certainly is. Try Towsure.com - they do kits specially for multiplex systems
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On new generation cars you have the digitised control of about anything electrical on the car. This means in principle a communication wire and a supply feed wire - instead of the good old bundle with a wire for each lamp.
Donno exactly how it's implemented on the Berlingo - but I'd imagine you have to get at the lamp cluster for hooking up to the lamps function. Likely there is a spare utility connector exactly for this purpose.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep, the Berlingo 2000> is Multiplex. Just "scotchlocking" into the loom could cause all sorts of problems.
You need to use a wiring loom / towbar wiring kit that plugs into the existing loom at the rear.
Citroen: CIT 1321 for the 12N, and CIT1322 for the 12S.
The Towsure W20 kits includes 12N and 12S and says that its universal for Multiplexed vehicles. Might be worth dropping them a line as the kit is only £39.95.
If Dave Bamber drops by later maybe he can comment as he has a towbar on his multiplexed Multispace HDi.
Garren
My Cars:

Post by Garren »

thank you all very much