C3 Picasso 1.6 hdi cutting out.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Minihobbymini
My Cars: C3 Picasso

C3 Picasso 1.6 hdi cutting out.

Post by Minihobbymini »

Hey all,

Been lurking for a while but I've joined the fold as I could really do with some kind persons help.

My 2010 1.6 hdi c3 Picasso I've recently bought has a nasty habit of cutting out. Anti pollution fault message flashes up.

I've searched and searched the forum and have followed many leads but drawn a blank.

I bought a code reader and set to work. My dtc's were just aircon pressure sensor (damaged air con rad) and coolant temperature sensor p1116 our of range.
Neither should cause the cutting out...

I replaced the sensor and cleared the code. This code hasn't come back. No codes are present relating to software etc and no dpf faults can be found.

New fuel filter fitted along with full service and drives great with good mpg apart from random cutting out.

Some say fuse box? I've checked the centre plug for corrosion but it all seems clean etc.

I can't find anything wrong on the car... but it's still cutting out. Once I pull over and turn off the ignition and start it up again I'm good to go! Until the next time anyway.

Help?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C3 Picasso 1.6 hdi cutting out.

Post by myglaren »

Welcome MHM :welc:

Have a look at Jim's problems with his 207 as it seems to be a similar problem, may give you some areas to explore:
207 cutting out.
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Thank you.

Interesting read on the earth. I had looked at recalls and my vehicle isn't one of the ones affected.

I note he stripped and cleaned the contacts on the fuse box. This could be an avenue to take, either that or a whole new box.
My dash doesn't go blank like his though. The dash is fine but the engine cuts out. Then I get the warning as my first post.

Few acronyms I don't understand in his thread such as BSI etc?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

BSI is one of the brains I think, Body System Integration or something like that. Words in wrong order because it's French. Someone will answer more accurately later on I'm sure. Sunday can be rather quiet, I'm just in front of the computer all day because I'm looking after my sick dog.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Minihobbymini wrote: Few acronyms I don't understand in his thread such as BSI etc?

Baker Street Irregulars :)

Generally Body Systems Interface as an approximate translation of some French words.

Perhaps we should have an FCF dictionary for obscure terminology and acronyms.
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

If anyone has overcome a matching issue please do get in touch.

Thank you
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Update:

Driving today at 60 mph and the car seemed to hesitate for a second. The engine warning light is now on and the usual anti pollution warranting popped up.
This time it didn't cut out but I am left with 4 dtc's. 2 codes and 2 pending.

1, p0001
2, p1461
3, p0001 p
4, p1471 p

Happy days
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Been doing some digging..

P0001 can be air con pressure sensor but I think with this Citroen it's a fuel pressure issue? The other bits seem egr related.

There's a few posts on here about 0001 related to the fuse box...

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Am I thinking correct with replacing the fuse box?
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Found this...

"Engine bay fuse box is a common problem at the minute, mainly affecting the new C5, but also C4 Picassos. I'm surprised that twhey hadn't heard of the fault code P0001 and linked it straight away to a faulty fusebox.

The fault is a poor or faulty contact inside the fusebox on fuse F1 which breaks down overtime. This cuts power supply to certain components of the engine briefly causing all sorts of warnings, with or without loss of power, cutting out etc."

Sooooooo I've had a look futher at feeds and they huddle around the brown centre plug... yup that one that rots ( mine looks ok though ). The fuel pressure open circuit code I have is a regular fuse box treat.
Couple this with my digging before with no codesand cutting out I think I've landed the fault.

Please shout at me if you think I'm wrong
Last edited by Minihobbymini on 07 Apr 2017, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Anyone? Thanks
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

Anyone help? Ive read nearly every post on all forums. I don't want to throw £100 extra at it unnecessarily as things are tight but in the same respect I don't want to wreck the car over £100 either.

The cheaper fuse box has the provision for daytime running lights.. the expensive one doesn't. Seems mental to pay 100 more for removing an option.
I can't see any other difference? All locations and plugs etc seem identical.

There was a post from a chap in Scotland saying there's two options but just fit the cheaper one.

Can anyone tell me if they have fitted the cheaper box 6500hv in place of the expensive 6500HW?

I'm going to adapt the wiring from the temp sensor and washer pump and post pics etc for others. Just waiting on some help with box info so I can get cracking.

Thank you
Minihobbymini

Post by Minihobbymini »

I've stripped the box and repaired the link under f1. I've cleaned the rusty earth points both around the box and on the chassis rail plus added copper grease for good measure. I've fitted a new genuine engine temp sender and I've fitted a join in both the sender loom that can feed water to the Ecu and a join in the washer bottle wires that feed water to the fuse box.
All fuses cleaned and checked. All plugs cleaned and checked using contact cleaner.

Started her up and it seems to run a lot smoother. The rusty engine and wiring earths must have been effecting the sensor readings etc with resistance to earth. Anyway time will tell if it still cuts out.

I found a handy way of making a join in the wires without it showing or having to buy anything that will stop the capillary action.

Will post back my findings soon
Gregor
My Cars: Actual fleet:
- C5 III tourer 2.0 HDI RHF (103kW 2010)
- P208 XY 1.6 THP (115kW 2013)
- GSX-R 750 (110 kW 2008)

Past members:
Xsara 2.0 VTS (2001)
P206 1.4 XS (1999)
AX 1.1 (1991)
R 5 GT-turbo (1988)
Visa 11 RE (1984)
GS 1.3 Super (1979)
R 12 TL (1975)
Zastava 750 (1968)

Post by Gregor »

Hi. I have a simmilar problem on my c5x7. I only get P1166 from time to time..... Did you solve the issue?
Driving Citroen is a diagnose!
Absibabs
My Cars: Citron c3 Picasso

Post by Absibabs »

Did you crack the problem? I have the same thing. New DPF, full service but just randomly cuts out with Air Pollution fault.

Currently SORN in my Mums garage due to financial constraints of getting her through an MOT and sorting this problem!

Would really appreciate a solution :?

Thanks in advance ☺