Xantia Ball Joint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia Ball Joint

Post by froggy »

Hi, just replaced the bushes on the front of my S2 Xantia. My question is, I found it difficult undo the nut on the hub end of the wishbone. The nut would not undo . The nut and thread of the ball joint would spin together! is there ' a right way' to undo the nut, stopping the ball joint from turning. I ruined the ball joint by holding the shaft using molegrips :oops: then loosening the nut. is there a better way? Terry ( the butcher).
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: Xantia Ball Joint

Post by ekjdm14 »

Put a jack under the balljoint & put a bit of upward pressure onto it & it ought to grip on the taper that way ;)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I normally undo mine with weight still on them, learnt from doing drop links is much easier to undo the nuts whilst pressure on them, on lock you can normally reach in to them,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I tend to use a lever on the wishbone to lock the balljont in position then undo the nut. If I'm not reusing the balljoint I just put an impact wrench on it and let it spin until the heat locks it.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Before even starting to undo them drop links too WIRE BRUSH them very well!!

All it is that locks them is rusty threads and crap in the threads too..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Ahh some you get out easily and some you don't is a good thing they are not very expensive to replace. I used to use the forks of a ball joint seperator tool to take up the slack as I undo the but tapping the tapered edge in to hold the taper tight as the but loosens.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Nut not but stupid phone.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Mmmmmmm! Some interesting ideas there. Must say I've always resorted to a strategically positioned jack - while offering a little prayer of gratitude it's not one of those cars with the inverted ball joints!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

van ordinaire wrote:....offering a little prayer of gratitude it's not one of those cars with the inverted ball joints!
I would have thought keeping the suspension loaded up with a jack would work in that situation anyway?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That balljoint taper is normally so tight it can be a right 'mare to split at the best of times...

My technique with all taper ball joints is to thoroughly wire-brush the exposed threads, soak it in Plus Gas and then start to undo...

I never fully undo but undo a turn and then do it back up half a turn. I then repeat it backward and forwards - as if I'm using a die to cut a new thread - and touch-wood the nuts always come off OK without breaking the taper...

If the taper does break then as Ekjdm says, loading it with a jack to make it tight again will often save the day...

But as I say, the real secret is in the backwards and forwards undoing method...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Only problem I've ever had was getting the split pin out (no longer an issue!) UNLESS the thing was so badly worn that the taper turned as soon as you looked at the nut. A combination of Jim's method AND a loading jack will probably get you out of schtuck - although once I had to resort to hacksaw.

Problem with inverted tapers is the difficulty in placing a jack where it'll do the job, without being in the way.

Tapers will always yield to slow, steady, judicious application of a club hammer, ideally, with another strategically positioned behind as an anvil, it's just a question of how many blows need to be delivered. If space is an issue, an old Kango bit makes for an excelllent 2' drift.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote:Only problem I've ever had was getting the split pin out (no longer an issue!)

I remember those!!!

I still prefer them to Nyloc nuts if truth be told!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

van ordinaire wrote:Tapers will always yield to slow, steady, judicious application of a club hammer, ideally, with another strategically positioned behind as an anvil, it's just a question of how many blows need to be delivered. If space is an issue, an old Kango bit makes for an excelllent 2' drift.

Our Xant' didn't even need that much, a couple of smart whacks to the wishbone end with the trusty old ball pein and they were practically falling out, made driveshaft removal a doddle compared to previous experience (helps a lot not having the usual steel spring to fight with when taking them in & out on HP Citroens too) :)

Whichever way the ball joint is facing, I find placing the saddle of the jack under the brake disc works well in most cases. Heck it's even better on a Xantia with the handbrake on the front! I tend to block the disc from turning with a screwdriver if it's vented, on cars with rear handbrakes