xantia cutting out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

s71mpy
My Cars: xantia, c5

xantia cutting out

Post by s71mpy »

my xantia 2.0hdi often cuts out whilst driving especially if revs hit 3000rpm,
it wont start again until the bubbling sound from the in tank pump stops its like air getting into the fuel.
ive changed the in tank pump, the fuel pressure regulator, the relay next to the ECU and the other solenoid thing on top of the high pressure pump on engine (3rd piston valve?) but still cutting out, ive looked on several sites, seems to be common prob but none seem to have a solution
hoping you guys know better
the only one where a cure was found was by some one changing the whole fuel filter housing and replacing with a land rover one eliminating the return feed to the filter

its like the whatever cuts the fuel off when ignition turned off, what little gizmo does that and where is it located?
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Re: xantia cutting out

Post by ekjdm14 »

No stop solenoid on HDi motor AFAIK, so won't be that failing (fuel is cut off electronically by the injectors not firing)

Not sure what the bubbling sound from the tank is, but have you tried opening the fuel cap when the problem occurs & see if there's a rush of air being drawn in that would suggest a blocked tank vent.

Other thing you could do is install a clear length of pipe in the return line and see if there's air bubbles present when the fault occurs. (you don't mention changing the fuel filter by the way, if this has either blocked or cracked that could cause a problem too.)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

The bubbling sound could well be air getting into the fuel filter somehow.

I hear a similar loud bubbling sound after changing the fuel filter as the fuel filter housing refills. How long does your bubbling sound continue for. After changing fuel filter I find it needs two or three primes before the bubbling stops, presumably until the filter housing is full with fuel again.

Given that it only occurs at high revs, it sounds possible that the high draw of fuel by the engine is causing air to be sucked into the fuel filter housing. I guess this might suggest that the air leak is only relatively slight, for example, a slightly bad joint between fuel pipes. Quite from where however I don't have any suggestions.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

hi folks ty for your quick responces:)
so far i found a few cracks in the o ring on fuel filter housing, temp bodge up with PTFE has reduced the bubbling sound and seemed to have made the in tank pump strain a little just before it switches off
got car back home plugged lexia in and got a few results
main ones being fuel pressure too low (leak)
and fault code p1112
tried the actuator tests and on testing fuel pressure regulator it doesnt vibrate every time, hope fully the one on my c5 (that im breaking for spares cus ecu wont power up if anyone needs bits in nott's derby area) is the same, ive swapped regulator on previous cit but it was different having a extra prong bit on tip that i cut off and file, diff part number too but it worked :)

after turning on with no bubbling sound it runs until i hear the bubble then dies, on previous messing with lexia just for the sake of it, ive had a fault code p1517 looked it up and was imobiliser but that was ages ago and never came up since

bring back the old school non electronic cars where you carried spare points and condensers in glove box :)
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

msg to 411514
im with you on the air being drawn in thing, but , as the fuel is under pressure?, surly i should see fuel spurting out somewhere? makes me think a valve somewhere is staying open releasing back to tank ive tried with fuel cap of as i had a mazda that cut out due to vacuum in tank (fuel cap off with hiss in, cure was taking cap off and replacing with 1 of them crappy temp plastic ones
where on the sytem do you think air can be drawn in ?
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

im leaning towards a sensor or valve with a dodgy wire
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

My car used to cut out occasionally when going downhill. After a couple of years it began cutting out at the same point on my journey, on a flat bit of road. By this time I could finally see a fuel leak on the fuel filter housing. A sensor thing on the side, I forget what it's called. Glued it up and it's been fine since. I think the leak was so small at first that it drew in air but didn't actually leak fuel.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

msg to jaf
yes mine seems geographicly sensative always same place on way to work prob cus it the right amount of fuel to get me there but its top of riddings hill after having to put foot down to get there from home :rofl2:
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

ive had 5 xantias 2 of being the bosch sytem same prob, 1 being diesel but seimens with the rubber ball pump no probsthere , best one was the 1.8 petrol with factory fitted lpg that one was best but piston rod snapped and punched hole in engine block sending oil filter down the m1, wish id kept it and got another engine and swapped the head to keep the really good lpg thingy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's probably the pressure reg on the back of the pump - how many miles has it done?
Richard W
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

140000 miles
could a faulty injector allow air back in the system?
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Have you tried replacing the o-ring seals on the filter housing connectors where the flow and return lines connect to the filter housing they usually have push in to release connectors on the end of the fuel lines.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

On the xantia these connectors were used on the tank fuel line connections to and my o-rings failed there sucking air in.

Sent from my GoFone_GF50X using Tapatalk
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
s71mpy

Post by s71mpy »

hooked up to lexia, actuator tests did not make fpr vibrate, ordered replacement still waiting for its arrival hoping cure is in the post