A couple of Mk2 C5 questions Please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

A couple of Mk2 C5 questions Please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

I am on the verge of letting go of my pennies to buy a Lexia for my
2007 MK2 Citroen C5 2.0l Hdi exclusive.
I gather I must go to easy diagnostics for this yes? (they are closed until 13th of March unfortunately). #-o

The laptop is loaded up with windows xp pro service pk3 added and office 2003 to, it even downloaded the most critical updates
for windows xp.

any other necessary info would be extremely helpful please?

Secondly I'm struggling to find a new sturdy roof rack for my mk2 C5 Hatch
any advice on where to source a good locking roof wrack would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: A couple of Mk2 C5 questions Please?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

How much memory does the laptop have installed? Can it be taken to a total of 4GB (the more memory the laptop has the better the Lexia software will like it)?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hell Razor5543 wrote:How much memory does the laptop have installed? Can it be taken to a total of 4GB (the more memory the laptop has the better the Lexia software will like it)?
I was under the impression that windows xp 32 bit only sees 3 gig as a maximum
there is some debate whether or not having 4 gig installed raises any real benefits.
but I wont rule it out completely.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

From memory 32 bit windows will only "see" about 3.6GB so the nearest that you can buy to be able to supply that is 4GB. Some of that is taken for various bits of hardware, sometimes including the graphics as Marc said earlier.

As a matter of interest some early laptops (I had an HP Omnibook years ago) have hardware limitations which prevent more than 2GB being installed. In this case I think that the memory sticks aren't recognised.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
falling-out-with-my-car

I've got a chap local to me that might have some ddr2 laptop memory. It was supposed to have been upgraded to four gig at the sales counter at novatech when I bought it and it wasn't until i started learning how to build computers that I realised I had been scammed by novatech with the laptop only having three gig installed. Won't be using novatech again. I've spent a lot of money with them over the years but to go through the motions of changing the ram at the counter and charge more for less is criminal. I think having all the original drivers on the laptop from the original disc is going to help a lot but most people won't even be using as much as four gig anyway. Its nice to.have and I agree its probably worth upgrading but I wouldn't have seen it ad a major stumbling block running a very trimmed down windows xp intended souly for use with a lexia.its not even going online.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 07 Mar 2017, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The laptop probably HAS got 4GB fitted, but Windows XP (32b) can only 'see' 3GB. Next time you fire up the laptop go into the BIOS/CMOS and see how much it reports. I will bet a decent pint of beer that it can 'see' 4GB.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

I opened her up and checked the ram Its got three gig installed.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Drat! I owe you a pint.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

Nah you don't I don't gamble or drink.much these days. So your free and clear. I wasn't expecting advice on the computing side of things to be honest I thought i might need to know something about the lexia that easy diagnostics sells. Perhaps I don't need info on that side of it then? I wasn't expecting an instruction Manual with it.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 08 Mar 2017, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I can tell you that the Easy Diagnostics Lexia I bought a few years ago works perfectly happily on my C5 Mk1. Easy Diagnostics themselves are very helpful.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
falling-out-with-my-car

James,

Its got to be good,
Martin at Pleiades bought an eBay lexia and they are waiting for me to get one from
easy diagnostics, whilst they send the other one back which wasn't very clever apparently.
They want to have a gander at mine before making the decision to buy from easy diagnostics.
So Ive got to get this right.
any ramp time will be helpful in diagnosing the faults on my car. a good opportunity awaits.

Ive watched a few you tube videos on setting up the software for the lexia,
Do you know if updates are necessary or do I need to leave that side of the software alone
keeping to the supplied software only?

Ive just had a nightmare with tyre pressure sensors according to the manual if they are placed in the boot
the ecu doesn't detect them what a load of rubbish the three I had removed from the tyres were still being detected
and the ecu kept reporting three flat tyres. so I took the sensors out of the boot and put them in my shed
well away from the car no faults have presented themselves as yet.
I wanted them removed as I relived the front tyres of 3 psi and the rears of 3 psi as I am driving around on my own most of the time.
this has improved grip and comfort a lot.

I also want to be able to deflate the tyres a little if it snows without the dam alarm kicking off to say I have flat/deflated tyres.

regards.
Nigel.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nigel, if you do order a Lexia from Easy Diagnostics make sure to let them know you are a member of this forum. When I did they knocked off the price of P&P. They will provide the software up to 7.57 (IIRC), as later versions of the software appear to have lower local functionality, and need to have a link to the Internet, for PSA to have control. I ought to give them a call, to see if I can get the firmware upgraded (it should be possible, as they say it has the full chipset).

I am running my Lexia on a Toshiba Netbook NB250 with only 2GB RAM (hardware limitations, as when I tried 4GB it would not boot up), and Windows 7 Starter Edition, and it works reasonably well.

EDIT; I have just contacted them, and their site says they are closed until 13/03, so there would be delays in any queries.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's not Hardware related James. The Windows 7 STARTER edition only supports 2Gb RAM full stop. :wink: You'll need to upgrade to home or professional editions to utilise more of the 4Gb limit on a 32 bit system.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Do you know if updates are necessary or do I need to leave that side of the software alone
keeping to the supplied software only?
I would leave it as 7.58 for your Mark II - 7.57 covers models up to 2013 which more than covers the year of your C5 Nigel. Versions after 7.62 have reduced telecoding functionality as the move went to on-line coding. This basically means some of the functions are not available off-line that used to be there previously.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Erm, no, Marc. Toshiba (on their website) clearly indicates the NB250 can only support a maximum of 2GB RAM (which is a nuisance);

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-p ... nb250-107/

Nigel, the Lexia supplied by Easy Diagnostics only comes with 7.57, for the reasons Marc has stated.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+