Xantia, Activa & XM - just another French Citroholic

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
Green fluid

Xantia, Activa & XM - just another French Citroholic

Unread post by Green fluid »

Hi everybody,

It's time to present my cars now...
So... as said, I've been crazy about cars for as long as I can remember. One year ago, after my graduation, the question was : what would my first car be ?
I wanted it to be recent enough to be able to drive it on a daily basis (without being afraid of missing an essential part for months), I wanted to be able to drive it in Paris (so : gasoline & after mid-1997).
2 cars were on my shortlist :
- A 2.5 20V Safrane
- A 2.0 TCT or V6 Xantia

I first saw a nice grey V6 Activa in Marseille. Booked a ticket to get it the following week - and unfortunately, the car was sold during the week.
Then, a second one. A quite uncommon X2 TCT, produced on April 23rd, 1999, and sold on June 28th, 2000. This engine was sold in France on X1 (4246 X1 produced, of which 952 RHD; 1092 X2, of which 270 RHD).
Well - that one was for me, and I got it on January 16th, 2016, @153000km. It now has almost 171'000, and it's a pleasure to drive !
Config : Mauritius Blue, with basic manual black leather and a retrofitted cruise control.

I have done quite a lot of things on it :
- 10 multilayer spheres (got almost the last rear wheel ones... now they are NFP)
- Leather cleaning & driver seat cushion replacement
- A few sensors, feeding pump & idle compensator
- Brake control unit,
- Heater matrix,

- Tyres, engine drain, filters, spark plugs & ignition wires... nothing but classic maintenance...
- And recently : a bit of paintwork on the car (bonnet, spoiler, one of the doors which whas scratched...) and the roof headliner

Now the car is quite clean, I still have to investigate why the engine sometimes stalls when going back to idle after a long downhill.
Other things on the todolist : timing belt (soon) & rear ram pipes (leaking when the temperature gets below 0°C, I have them brand new at home).

A few photos... taken yesterday.

Most importantly... this car has always been reliable and has never let me aside. For that, and because it's now looking very nice, I really like it.

In July, I saw a dirty 2.0 16V, 118000km, for €1,000. Too expensive,... I didn't need it - but I was driving far too much with my dear Activa, so the idea was not bad... and one week later, the same car was worth €300 !
A young guy had bought the car without checking he could take an insurance with it - in France people with a recent driving license can't get an insurance for a car with more than 100bhp. He had to sell it quickly, otherwise he had to register the car.
It happened that I took the car the last day he could sell it before making the official registration. The exterior was not very nice, the interior neither, and there was a huge leak on the back of the car.

Well :
- 3 rear spheres were dead (wheels & hydractive) - the car was shaking so much that a return pipe went off. Paid a restaurant to a friend, he filled me 2 old spheres and let's go.
- Changed a door, a front wing, added a spoiler
- Changed some return pipes too... broke when doing the engine & LHM drains
- Changed the interior alcantara
- Changed all tyres (2 were dry... they had 12 years and more than 90'000km... the others were older but still okay, but I had punctured one...
- Found an XM... :roll:

I sold this car after only 4 months and 10,000km. Enjoyable, reliable, but I couldn't park 3 cars...

In September, I found an XM. Mauritius Blue again, V6 ES9 + auto gearbox 4HP20, 110'500km, in Germany. With (heating) Savane leather interior, sunroof,...
Well... 110'500km, that's what I thought, and now I have some doubts about it.
Lots of recent work after 3 years stopped outside. Engine matrix, spark plugs, timing belt, gearbox was freshly checked and drained... and so on... well... I couldn't resist - I took it.

Well... I'm not so happy with it.
First I had a heater matrix issue, and the matrix had already been replaced.
The seller (a pseudo professional guy) was working terribly bad, screws were missing everywhere inside and outside the car...
Had a gearbox relay issue preventing the car start, I opened the starter, found it was quite tired. Replaced it... and after only 6,000km, the gearbox was broken : usual issue on the 4HP20 with the ring between the pump and the torque converter.
I will have to change part of the exhaust too...

The car is currently parked at my parents' place, (at least it broke somewhere I could park it). The seller should send me a new gearbox soon, I hope I will be able to fix the car soon and drive again.
Fake Concern

Re: Xantia, Activa & XM - just another French Citroholic

Unread post by Fake Concern »

Lovely collection of Citroens and a really interesting write up!
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by xantia_v6 »

Hi, I have the opposite of your combination, an XM ES9 with manual transmission, and a Xantia V6 Mk1 with automatic. These cars live in Beaune, France, where I live for part of the year.

If you get a replacement gearbox for your XM, I strongly recommend that you split the case and replace the oil filter, as it is a clogged oil filter that causes the failure you have seen, and it is likely that any used transmission is well on the way to having the same problem.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D Indeed, a very lovely collection!

And a very warm welcome to the forum :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

Love that XM with cream
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Stickyfinger wrote:Love that XM with cream
Cream is lovely but totally impractical for the likes of me as both I and cream leather is just a magnet for dirt...

I know as my V6 Xantia had cream...

I once had a bike with white bar tape... Looked lovely at first but alas, it was soon very off-white...

I always have black now... Doesn't show the dirt!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

Yep, my 2nd V6.Calibra had Cream with Cream carpets...nightmare !

But as a 2nd "Sunday" car, very nice.
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 06 Mar 2017, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Dodger
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Even my 'Sunday' car needs black in it...

I really am a dirt magnet... White shirts are a right 'mare for me too... In fact anything white :lol:
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:Even my 'Sunday' car needs black in it...

I really am a dirt magnet... White shirts are a right 'mare for me too... In fact anything white :lol:
Including teeth? :-D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Hell Razor5543 wrote: Including teeth? :-D
No, it's the exception that proves the rule :) Only today my dentist complimented me on what a wonderful job I do of brushing my teeth!
Jim

Green fluid

Unread post by Green fluid »

Well... I couldn't agree more : I spent 10 hours cleaning the cream leather, and I should already start over. Let alone carpets...
And this is my daily driver !

But - well - everytime I see the car... It's like love at first sight... I guess I'm weak somehow :)

@xantia_v6 : Yep, it's already planned. I'll replace all engine mounts (except the superior one, which is already brand new) when the engine will be out. :)

Thank you all for your welcomes :)
daviemck2006
Donor 2024

Unread post by daviemck2006 »

Anything white I have always ends up not white! Lol

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen dispatch 2014
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)

Unread post by van ordinaire »

Had an XJR with cream leather, including the original wheel, which was surprisingly not difficult to keep looking good.

Always thought white elephant cords were the most impractical garment ever - 'til I discovered a white suede shirt! Just 2 things you should avoid Jim. (shouldn't really talk, I was wearing new white jeans the night I turned my 1st car over, put it through a hedge on its side & we had to self recover it)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
elma

Unread post by elma »

My Red Vsx had cream leather, it looked great but needed daily cleaning with me living in the countryside and having a fairly inconsiderate dog. I'm much happier with the black leather I have now. Not a massive fan of leather though really, I actually prefer the cloth Vsx and Activa seats although the electric leathers are prity good and I won't be complaining.
raynoon

Unread post by raynoon »

Lovely selection of cars, perfect colour combination too!

You can get special leather treatments which form a barrier to prevent the dirt from sticking, I bought some from the Manchester Classic Car Show last year.
1990 G Peugeot 205 CJ
1992 K Citroen ZX 1.9d auto avantage
1992 K Citroen XM 2.1 SD
1993 L Citroen XM 2.1 SD auto
1995 M Citroen XM 2.1td Exclusive auto
1999 Citroen Xantia Break HDi 110 Exclusive
2000 W Citroen Xantia HDi 110 Exclusive
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.0 Open Scandal