V6 Xantia info

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

yannbeam
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 07 Picasso 1.6 95 Xantia VSX 97 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive Xantia 2.0tct Estate Talbot Sunbeam TI

V6 Xantia info

Post by yannbeam »

Good evening chaps. Does anyone know of a good source of info for the ES9 engine in the Xantia V6 ? There appears to be nothing from haynes or the usual suspects. Also seems to be precious little of any use on the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I dont want to give the old girl indigestion! :lol:
Ian
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: V6 Xantia info

Post by Stickyfinger »

What do you need to know ? What are the jobs you are panning ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, as Alasdair says, there are many of us on here with much knowledge of the ES9J4.. I've had several in bits and have the official Citroen service documentation on the engine..

A search of ebay may throw up a copy for you... It's good and useful if you intend to do a full rebuild...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
yannbeam
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 07 Picasso 1.6 95 Xantia VSX 97 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive Xantia 2.0tct Estate Talbot Sunbeam TI

Post by yannbeam »

I was just after general info about servicing etc, although more indepth info would be usefull incase I have to do any major work. I've located a manual for the Renault version of the engine but I'm not certain what differences there are between the two. There is no service history with the car so I'm unsure of when it last had the timing belt changed etc.

Thanks.
Ian
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just let us know exactly what you want to know and we'll furnish ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Apart from changing the thermostat (grumble grumble) most jobs on the ES9J4 are relatively easy. It's a nice well laid out engine to work on if you take your time.

How well does the engine run at the moment ? Did it pass its last emissions test with ease ?

If the car is new to you with no service history I would consider replacing the spark plugs and spark plug cassette/leads to the rear bank - at the age they are now the leads can start getting a bit scrappy (broken wire inside the insulation) especially if previous spark plug changes have been done in a ham fisted way. This can lead to misfiring and loss of power in damp weather. I've had to replace the leads on both my Xantia V6's - one at 100k and the other at 70k.

To change the rear spark plugs you need to remove the upper inlet manifold which is not difficult once you know what to do, but you'll need a new cardboard gasket for reassembly - available for about £4 from a dealer. I usually like to have a spare one left over in case anything goes wrong as they are easy to tear.

While you have the upper inlet manifold off and the rear spark plug cassette removed you can inspect the rear cam boxes for oil leaks - a very common problem. If the leak is minor I would just clean it up and put it back together and check it again in another year however if it is leaking a lot it will need resealing which usually means camshafts out.

Coil packs can also go on these but they're easy to change at the front. Symptoms would be a significant loss of power which might only occur if the engine is hot.

That's about it for common problems really. How are the gear changes ? The engine is pretty bullet proof so you're actually more likely to have gearbox problems, especially if it has never had any oil changes...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There are PDF copies of most of the XM MK2 factory service manual floating around in cyberspace. The one that I have seen includes all the ES9 service procedures.