help clutch/brake/suspension problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

retic666

help clutch/brake/suspension problems

Post by retic666 »

just bought a 1998 xantia 19td estate the clutch is stiff when setting off plus no adjuster for cable were its ment to be possible wrong cable?. brakes when braking seem to let off appley more presure they work again this happens when at high speed?.suspension ride is ok till bumpy roads then starts bouncing seems to be the front more than the back sphers look newish plus back end doesnt go up or down when height changed reservoir float doesnt work fluid is about 2inch off top plus no clicking from back end please any help would be very graetful thanks retic666
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi retic -
What's the mileage of this Xantia ? - as that would be a pointer to any clutch problems.
Bouncing suspension is a pointer to near-flat spheres.
The reluctance of height change on rear suspension is likely to be a missing (broken) plastic link to the HC - or might just have unhooked one end.
LHM level seems fine - the float is quite easy to make work again - just a bit messy/fiddly job undoing/cleaning the filter insert from reservoir.
No clicking from back end ??????
Brakes problem could be air in suspension hydraulics - vented by Citaerobics. But that requires the rear suspension to work in height change.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

98 TD probably uses an automatic adjusting cable. If it's heavy then it may improve by changing the cable, but it's probably telling you it needs a new clutch - how many miles on it? Note a heavy clutch on a Xantia will break the plastic (!) clip that connects the clutch cable to the pedal - and it's a git to change (although I understand may be easier on the later cars).
On / off brakes may be due to gas in system, but some Xantias just seem to do this.....
Bouncy ride almost certainly due to flat spheres - front ones can 'look' OK even when they are 10 years old. You should have about 6" of very soft movement at each corner.
Assume the rear is responding to weight in the car? If so then it will be the mechanism at the back height corrector - give it a good soaking in penetraing fluid then work it up and down - it should free up OK.
retic666

Post by retic666 »

hi andersdk/richardw car as done 98000 miles clutch bite is at the top so going by what you have said i will change the clutch. back end whent up and down twice this morning then stopped.can you give me a bit more info on what to do with the back end haynes manual doesnt show the hc cheers retic
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't be misled by the high biting point - the TD uses a pull type clutch, and the biting point will always be at the top of the travel. Changing a Xantia clutch is long and involved, so I would try the cable first - it is likely though that a new clutch will follow....
The HC is located under the rear of the car, in the centre, in front of the spare wheel. It's got a big spring on it and some links between the roll bar and itself. Give the whole area a good spraying of wd-40 or similar then lever the spring back and forwards to get it going. Don't forget to put it on ramps/ use a pit, as it can drop quickly and if unsupported will squash you....