c 5 misfiring when at running temp,,(newby)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

niggles
My Cars: Citroen c5 1.6 Hdi airdream

c 5 misfiring when at running temp,,(newby)

Post by niggles »

Hi all, (I am new to this forum so be gentle with me) I have a c5 mk111 1.6 hdi 2010, over the past couple of months the car has developed a misfire at around 1800-2200 rpm that only starts when the car is at running temp. I have had the car down the local garage they put it on their diagnostic machine but no fault codes were found so am a bit confused to what it could be,, P.s My previous car was a Ford Mondeo mk111 2.0 tdci which had a similar problem and had to change the egr valve which was a fairly simple job,, has anybody got any ideas ...... cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: c 5 misfiring when at running temp,,(newby)

Post by RichardW »

Welcome!

Yes, the EGR valve on these can give these symptoms if it's playing up. If you can get it on a diag computer then you can watch the position vs the requested position - it should track closely, if not then valve is suspect. You can get genuine ones for £100 from the likes of E-bay, and it's not that hard to change (although appears impossible at first look!) - shouldn't be too bad on a C5 as access to the top / back of the engine is pretty good. It might be possible to clean the valve - the one I took off my car appeared to be full of soot only, restricting its movement.
Richard W
niggles

Post by niggles »

Hi Richard , thanx for the quick reply will have a go this weekend to get it off the car and cleaning with egr cleaner and a tooth bush, it appears to be a bit harder than the Mondeo I had to remove but will get my head around it.... cheers will keep you posted Niggles
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might want to check the rubber pipe that goes from the EGR valve (left back of engine bay when looking from the nose) to the bits on the right. Mickeymoon looked at mine, found a tiny hole (fortunately very near to one end), trimmed it back, and problem solved.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
niggles

Post by niggles »

Hi mate cheers for that will certainly check that at the same time when I take he valve off ,,,,thanx for the heads up .......cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's no vac pipe on the 1.6 - it's electric only. Getting the valve off is not too bad - remove the air filter and box, the fuel filter, and its bracket. There is a 'clic' type clamp on the outlet of the valve - this almost certainly isn't re-useable, the Citroen replacement is a screw up type (see here worth getting one of these before you take it off. With the valve off, 4 e-spline bolts allow the electric actuator to be removed. It was in the chamber below this that I found the soot - the mech rotates in a rising spiral. Make sure the actuator engages with the mech when you put the top back.

Richard W
niggles

Post by niggles »

Cheers Richard for the link for the clamp (I don't think that a jubilee clip would be sufficient lol.). Will order one tonight along with some more egr cleaner probably will have to do it next weekend instead of this weekend as it wont come till next Tuesday at the earliest. I suppose that blanking off is not an option thanx again for the info ......niggles