Thanks from a newbie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Emdee
My Cars:

Thanks from a newbie

Post by Emdee »

Just bought first citroen - 97 xantia 30K.No logbook or handbook garage thought they had been pinched - thanks to forum now discovered secret hiding place and books.Plinkers - (discovered new word)not working - now both working.Although reasonably mechanically minded,I'm not really confident enough to tackle the bigger jobs, but the support and info on this site will stop me being ripped off for repairs in the future.
One question. My temp. guage fluctuates between around 73 - 80 degs at about 70 on the motorway but very little at other times. Anything to worry about ? Love the car love the site[:)]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hi,
Welome to the forum and the Citroen 'addiction'....
What engine has your Xantia got? If the temp fluctuates between 70 and 80 then it's odds on the thermostat is knackered - it should sit at a steady 80°C, only rising when you work it hard or sit in traffic. If it falls below that, then the thermostat is not working properly. A coolant change whilst the thermostat is done will do no harm. I see it's only 30k, but now 6 years old, so if it's not been done I would get the cambelt changed as well.
Emdee
My Cars:

Post by Emdee »

Thanks for the advice Richard. Model is 1.8 16 valve.Would the cam belt normally have been replaced by now as by the look of the logbook it has been serviced as recommended at the Citroen dealer. Might give the previous owner a ring and check.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

On mine (1.8 16v, '98), temperature is also a bit low, about 77-78 degree on the motorway, but steady. Sitting in a traffic, it would rise to about 88, when fans kick in, lowering to about 78 again.
According to Haynes, thermostat should start opening at 83.
I did some measurements with a probe, pushed near the temperature sensor, and it turned out that the gauge is accurate (within about 1 degree).
Emdee, if you change the thermostat, please post the new readings on the gauge.