C5 X7 suspension issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c5rich
My Cars: C5 X7 2008 tourer

C5 X7 suspension issues

Post by c5rich »

HI chaps, on the way back home yesterday I noticed the hydro suspension went all bouncy for about half a mile or so... this morning it 'bounced' as soon as I drove off, I stopped, pushed the up / down buttons and it worked as normal, stopped the engine to fill up with fuel, when re-started the engine the front stayed in the high position for about 4/5 minutes regardless if I stopped the engine or pushed the buttons again.... then went back to normal #-o
Any ideas? I have a local dealer but generally they are hopeless.... maybe I need to check the oil, I looked in the handbook and it says 'go to dealer' =D>
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 suspension issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Initial thoughts are that it's more likely to be a stuck height corrector. A good lube with some silicone grease on the front and rear height correctors will help eliminate this issue. Don't get underneath the car yourself unless the car is independently supported with axle stands or on a ramp though - the suspension can drop suddenly if there are problems and you won't want to be underneath it.

Have a look at this thread and the pictures Sticky has put up highlighting the issue. They are not at all well protected from the elements.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... or#p521195
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
c5rich

Post by c5rich »

HI Marc, thanks for the help.... before I do as you said above, I found another thread on here about the oil levels etc (as the handbook is useless), no oil showing at all, I will go and get some Total DA oil and see if that makes a difference....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, but check it on level ground Rich, suspension on lowest setting and leave the engine running for 4 minutes or so to make sure as much of the fluid is returned to the LDS tank as poss. It should then be between the A and B marks. If you fluid was low, you should get a warning though, so I suspect sticking height correctors.
LDS Fluid Levels
LDS Fluid Levels

Marc
c5rich

Post by c5rich »

Thanks again Marc for the help.... I did notice a long 'hissss' when I undid the oil cap - normal?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, that is normal, as the system is slightly pressurised. If you ever have to fully de-pressurise the system you then need to re-pressurise it by about 1/2 BAR to prime the pump. You would only need to do this if you are replacing an LDS component (such as a strut) as there might now be air in the system near the pump. You will not need to worry about a vacuum in the reservoir area. The cap has a very simple one way breather system, with a small hole in it, and a rubber washer fitted to the underside. Air can get sucked in (as the washer will move out of the way), but not out as the washer then seals against the outward flow.

Make sure that you use the right fluid. I have found the GSF sells Total LDS for about 1/3 less than dealerships.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

c5rich wrote:Thanks again Marc for the help.... I did notice a long 'hissss' when I undid the oil cap - normal?
Yes - pressure release. Whilst you are there, it might be worth checking if you have the old or the replacement type of LDS cap - the newer one has a hole in the centre to help relieve pressure and help prevent your tank from bursting if the car is raised off the ground with the wheels hanging without first removing the cap. If you have the older one, it might be worth getting a new one ordered... :-D

Edit - the new cap replacement part is 4009 V9 (the old one was 4009 L6), so make sure it is the right one.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This is what you want to see;

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m ... j3wYNQ.jpg

If there isn't a hole replace the cap with one that has (I goy one from a scrap yard for a couple of quid).

EDIT; Just noticed this post is about an X7 C5, so I am not certain if this cap is the right one for that car. If it isn't, please accept my apologies for any confusion caused.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are differences James:
The same replacement part number (4009 V9) is for the late 2004 facelift and the X7 2008 on - however NOT for the C5 Mark 1 from 2001 to early 2004, which still has the original part (4009 H6) listed. Not sure why - maybe some subtle change in the system tank design.
Price is £14.85 Ex or £17.82 Inc. VAT

Marc
c5rich

Post by c5rich »

once again thanks for the help guys.... well one litre of DH oil later (needs more as still not showing up on the level) no change... so back to the drawing board. I have a mate of mine dropping off some axle stands, pointers on where to find the front height corrector ? :?
c5rich

Post by c5rich »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
c5rich wrote:Thanks again Marc for the help.... I did notice a long 'hissss' when I undid the oil cap - normal?
Yes - pressure release. Whilst you are there, it might be worth checking if you have the old or the replacement type of LDS cap - the newer one has a hole in the centre to help relieve pressure and help prevent your tank from bursting if the car is raised off the ground with the wheels hanging without first removing the cap. If you have the older one, it might be worth getting a new one ordered... :-D

Edit - the new cap replacement part is 4009 V9 (the old one was 4009 L6), so make sure it is the right one.
I have the centre hole on the cap :wink:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've emailed the procedure to you Rich - detailing the location and access to the front and rear height sensors as a bit too big to put here :-D

Marc
Equilibrium
My Cars: Citroen C5 (X7) 2.0HDI (136hp) with A/T gearbox and H3+ suspension

Post by Equilibrium »

Hello everyone!

I don't want to open a new thread so I will write here. I have a problem with suspension on my C5 X7 (Hydractive 3+) from 2010.

2 weeks ago I noticed that he is acting strange (sounds stupid, I know xD). First when I park him and turn off the engine, he goes full low. At first I thought it's nothing but he continued to do so. I had some clothes in trunk (around 10kg). After I took them out, he remained in normal position after parking/turning off engine. Then last week I tried to raise him up/lower him down. Now, what happens.

I start the engine, he is in normal position. I press lowering button, he starts lowering and I get the message "Closing in Progress". And so he lowers the car and stops, but there is no message that lowering is completed. Last month it was working with no doubt, but now no. He obviously goes down, but I don't receive info. Then, I decided to raise him up from normal position. Again "Closing in progress" but he stays in normal (while engine is working). I see that nothing is happening so I turn off the car and get outside. As soon as I got out, he starts to raise. And after some time he raises and stays that way in mid-high position. I got in car again, turn engine on, no message on BC. I lower the car to normal, he starts lowering but again, no message even though he is in normal position.

Then, 2 days ago I decided to lower him and add oil. When I lowered him and opened the cap, there was no LDS oil, and I added around 0.4-0.5l. Then I raised it/lowered it, opened the cap and the oil was between a and b as placed in picture few posts above. It's much softer now, pump works, car goes up and down but I don't get message from it. And I am sure that last month I got message with speed restriction. I also don't understand why he sometimes go up/down when I turn engine off (because while on nothing happens).

What could be the problem? Air in the system? Height sensor? I ruled out pump because it's obviously working, on some strange way. There is also no leaking, no stains on floor below the car, no oil on suspension/cylinders etc.

On Croatian Citroen Forum, there was another problem with height (rear part lowered for no reason on C5 X7 2011). The owner replaced battery and car works fine. I mean, it works, on some dumb way but it works. What scares me is the fact that I don't get message about lowering/rising. I don't know is that because I turn off the engine and car then raises to its position so the message can't arrive, or it is because he never reaches the level in full manner.

I'd like to fix it before anything more expensive comes out.

Thank you all, sorry for the long post and my English. :D
Equilibrium
My Cars: Citroen C5 (X7) 2.0HDI (136hp) with A/T gearbox and H3+ suspension

Post by Equilibrium »

Little update, today after 2 hours of driving, I decided to try again. I reduced speed to 20km/h and tried to raise the car. "Closing in Progress" and after 30 seconds, "Closing completed, Mid-High Position, Max Speed 40km/h". He raised with no problem. Although drive became bumpy on 30 km/h. Rear part of car started to jump. Reduced speed, everything back to normal.

Then I lowered him to normal, done in matter of seconds. Both messages appeared. Then I tried low position, "Closing in progress", speed 20km/h, but nothing happened. Nothing at all. When I pressed the raise button, he just jumped to normal on screen.
So raising works fine, both messages arrive. Normal is alright, but lowering no. Maybe it would lower if I turned engine off but I don't understand why wouldn't he do it during drive.
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I thought the car would not lower all the way if moving?
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.