Xantia Mk II Hdi Immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steve_M

Xantia Mk II Hdi Immobiliser

Post by Steve_M »

Hi All.

My Xantia refused to start one morning having worked the night before, showing a key with a bar through it and a continuous tone. The fuel pump runs, the car turns over fine but does not start. I tried jumping it but hat did not help. I assume the immobiliser is the culprit.

I only have one key and the buttons are damaged, so cannot reprogram. If I remove the key from the ignition and then immediately bring it near without touching the barrel, the light and tone start again, so I assume the reader is working well.

I have tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours, but it made no difference. I have checked all the fuses and tightened the battery terminals.

I have had other electrical problems, such as the heater fan which was due to a low voltage at the fusebox. Running a wire directly to the upstream side of the fuse showed it to work. Everything apart from the fan and rear screen heater seem to work otherwise.

I think we are soon to part ways, but it will be nice to get her running.

Any ideas?

Steve.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Mk II Hdi Immobiliser

Post by CitroJim »

This is often a failure of the engine bay fuse box Steve or a failure in the engine loom that runs between the fuse box, passenger compartment - containing the CPH and immobiliser - and the Engine ECU...

If you need them, I can provide wiring diagrams if that will help...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Hi CitroJim.

Thank you for the help you've given me and the invaluable support you give to this community.

I'll check out the engine bay fuse box. I did check them visually, but I'll do a continuity test on them all.

Other than that I'm going to have to say goodbye to 'Judy' as my kids call her as I need a reliable car and this has stumped me. If I can get her running I can sell her, if not I'll have to try and recoup some of my costs and sell her for scrap.

Over the last couple of years I have replaced:

Front spheres (Autumn 2015)
Front bearings (Autumn 2015)
Front brake callipers, discs and pads (Autumn 2015)
Tie rods (Autumn 2015)
Cam belt (Easter 2016)
Water pump (Easter 2016)
Rockers (Easter 2016)
Fuel pump (October 2016)
All 4 tyres (Christmas 2016)
Rear spheres (Christmas 2016)

She was running beautifully and I loved driving her, but then one morning trying to get to work she wouldn't start.

Frustrating.

Steve
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, based on all the work you've done on her in the last couple of years, she's definitely worth saving I think...

Fingers crossed you can.

One thing I'd suggest is a diagnostic check with a Lexia. It just may show up something and may give a clue...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...