2007 Mk2 Citroen C5 clutch pedal travel.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

2007 Mk2 Citroen C5 clutch pedal travel.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,
can anyone advise if my Mk2 C5 2007 exclusive has the dreaded auto adjust clutch clip please like the xantia?

I am trying to determine clutch wear by the pedal travel with the car now at 85K

how long could I expect a clutch to last (assuming it is on the original clutch) and is the pedal travel fairly accurate in determining clutch wear?

Xantia clutches lasted me about 80K but then I did a lot of towing of cars on huge 4 wheel trailers.

occasionally I get a bit of a rumble through the car on acceleration almost as though the revs are not high enough

particularly when accelerating on slip roads in third or fourth gear.

admittedly it is taking time to adjust to a six speed box I rarely get into sixth unless doing 70mph +

I always dip the clutch pedal when starting the engine is this good or bad for a dual mass flywheel?

thanks in advance

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2007 Mk2 Citroen C5 clutch pedal travel.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The clutch is hydraulic on your car and has automatic wear adjustment Nigel.

DMF... The secret is keep it smooth - don't accelerate at low speed in high gears. Use handbrake and keep it in neutral at lights and definitely no riding of or resting foot on the clutch. It is very easy to use 5th and 6th gear at relatively low speeds - as you really can't hear the engine much, but don't let the DMF do too much work as it won't last the course.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Hello Marc,

can you elaborate briefly please? how does the adjustment work?
is there any way to gauge its wear? other than a strip down?

Im thinking about having a Duck clutch fitted.

Thanks

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

On your car it should have an original LUK Clutch - and the automatic play adjustment mechanism is (8) in the diagram and the compensation springs (9).
C5 MK II LUK Clutch
C5 MK II LUK Clutch
I updated my last post above regarding some DMF advice too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My thought about DMFs is that heat kills them - so do not hold it on the clutch any longer than absolutely necessary. Our C4 needed a new clutch at 90k as the release bearing exploded - so no sitting with the clutch down either. My 307 is on original (AFAIK) clutch and DMF at 125k.....

As Marc says the 2.0 16V HDi has a self adjusting clutch and hydraulic actuator, so pedal position will give no clue as to wear state of the clutch. I helped my mate change one of these, and it's not a lot of fun! His had done about 90k - the clutch was still in reasonable shape with plenty of wear left, but the DMF was toast - so much slop that the flywheel part was wearing the outer cover, and a great pile of metal dust fell out of it when we took it off. The original LUK clutch / DMF is not cheap - no idea how much the conversion would cost to Duck clutch - is a full new clutch kit required, or just a retrofit of a new actuator?
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car

Thanks Marc,

That's very helpful. I do hope its a LUK and not a Valeo Ive heard a lot of bad things about Valeo DMF's
wearing out at around 25k

Richard,

its a retro-fit of a new actuator which talks to a radio control Transmitter pcb inside the gear Knob basically a switch
you flick down with your finger before manually selecting the gears.
The receiver/actuator pulls the clutch pedal down for you, there is a module mounted under the dash with 3 switchable settings
and one for your own personal driving style. this actuator can mount on top of the gearbox in some cases.

it can be switched off to go back to manual driving mode.
Last edited by myglaren on 07 Feb 2017, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link