C5 II 2.0 petrol won't crank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teuski
My Cars: -=X7|C2|AX|XM=-

C5 II 2.0 petrol won't crank

Post by teuski »

A friend of mine has a weird problem with a EW10A C5 with manual transmission:

When ignition is turned on, lights on dash light up as usual. After about 5 seconds everything else goes off except the engine fault light. Even the multifunction display shuts down.
When tried to start, the starter motor won't run. There's only a faint click of some relay in the BSI. But the starter works fine as i will explain later.
It also stays in economy mode and won't even run the hydraulic pump.

There aren't any significant faults found by Lexia. The ignition lock works (Lexia detects all the positions).
The engine cranks fine when the starter motor solenoid is activated straight from the BSM connector. With the key in starting position the engine still won't start and turns up faults in Lexia from injectors, thermostat etc.
Seems to me the car has no permission to run the starter motor and that's why it turn those faults because the engine is turning when it shouldn't be.

Any ideas? I can't think of any situation where there wouldn't be permission to run the starter motor in a manual transmission C5.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 II 2.0 petrol won't crank

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First thing to do is a BSI reset. This sounds initially like an electronic problem that the engine is not firing because it hasn't got permission. Normally if the immobiliser is not happy the engine will turn over but it will not start.

So I would check that the battery is in good condition, a weak or failing battery will have an impact on starting the engine up with all the other systems connected up. Next undertake the BSI reset procedure to ensure and rule out any electronic glitches with the ECU.

If the battery terminals have been put on taken off when you've been testing and the BSI procedure has not been followed you may end up with lots of electronic problems. ECU's are very sensitive and if they're not shut down properly, you can store all sorts of electronic problems. Make sure you follow the procedure in full and don't skip any parts. Make sure you put the keys in the ignition after, turn ignition on and hold down lock button for 10 seconds, don't start the car, remove key, operate central locking, then go in and start car and test everything.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc