1.6 hdi cam/timing chain issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jake1
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch, Ford Ranger WLT: not French!

1.6 hdi cam/timing chain issue

Post by Jake1 »

Hello all,

I have recently bough a 07 Peugeot Expert/Dispatch/Scudo with the 1.6 hdi 90hp engine in it. (96,000 miles)

I really want to make it a reliable van so I have been doing some preventative maintenance to it. This has been mainly pickup gauze cleaning banjo gauze cleaning and vacuum pump gauze cleaning to reduce chance of turbo failure. Along with planned injector copper washer change.

I have also been reading about timing/cam chain failures due to failed tensioners. This is getting me pretty worried since any top end rebuild in this van would probably be an engine out job! (engine is that far back its pretty much under the windscreen!)

I don't really have the spare time to replace the cam chain & tensioner set but if chance of failure is high then I better do it while the vehicle is off the road. Therefore my question is: just how much of an issue is this alleged cam chain problem?

Furthermore does anyone have any experience of whether a slack timing chain can be detected before failure (e.g. what sort of noises are audible?), or do they give no warning signs before sudden catastrophic failure?!

Any help would be really appreciated: not been hearing good things about this engine :(
Bick

Re: 1.6 hdi cam/timing chain issue

Post by Bick »

Jake you have a PM