Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Image file upload facility added to the forum

Post by xantia_v6 »

We are happy to announce that we have added the facility to upload images to the forum, so that in most cases it is no longer necessary to host image files on external sites.

See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56795 for more information.

You will see that we have quite a few rules on copyright of images, this is because we cannot take any risk of having legal action taken against us for breach of copyright. Please read the rules, and give attribution of all uploaded images.
Own image (xantia_v6)
Own image (xantia_v6)
You will see that images are automatically "thumbnailed", but are available at original size if you click on the image.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Image file upload facility added to the forum

Post by white exec »

That is a very welcome addition, Mike.
It will also enable the forum to preserve valuable posts complete, without the risk of photos, diagrams etc. going 'missing' if the external host site is edited or discontinued.
Chris
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

white exec wrote: It will also enable the forum to preserve valuable posts complete, without the risk of photos, diagrams etc. going 'missing' if the external host site is edited or discontinued.
True, and I would be happy if any existing externally hosted photos are transferred (subject to the copyright restrictions)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Can that be done automatically ?..there are a lot :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Can that be done automatically ?..there are a lot :(
Tricky, but I reckon a really good 'script kiddie' could possibly come up with something...

But, having said that, there may be all kinds of copyright issues around doing such a thing so on balance, best not to.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Can that be done automatically ?..there are a lot :(
Unfortunately there does not seem to be an easy way to do it. Something was proposed as an extension for phpBB, but I don't think it ever got written.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

white exec wrote:That is a very welcome addition, Mike.
It will also enable the forum to preserve valuable posts complete, without the risk of photos, diagrams etc. going 'missing' if the external host site is edited or discontinued.
I imagine the ones I posted from ImageShack and Imgur are lost and gone forever.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

This is excellent, I'll start using it from now on.

For those that don't know Dropbox are discontinuing their "Public Folder" feature in the next few weeks that I and possibly many other people use to share images on forum postings, unfortunately this means that nearly ALL of my image links on this forum (and other forums I use) will break when this happens, and there is no automated or easy way for me to fix this.

As you can imagine I'm not chuffed with this...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Will the pictures in threads definitely break or will the folders just require a log in if you click the thumbnails in posts?

I've kept my dropbox very organised for years so as not to disturb my forum images, if the images in my posts disappear it will take weeks to fix and really upset me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We could now do with a 'broken picture link' reporting system so that as people who find broken links the authour of the post concerned can resolve the issue if at all possible...

I've had a few reports of broken links on my website which has enabled me to promptly fix them..

I'm not clever enough today to work out the fine detail of such a reporting system but maybe others can...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

elma wrote:Will the pictures in threads definitely break or will the folders just require a log in if you click the thumbnails in posts?

I've kept my dropbox very organised for years so as not to disturb my forum images, if the images in my posts disappear it will take weeks to fix and really upset me.
As far as I know, automatic sharing of all files in the "Public" folder is going away, breaking all existing links.

And I think direct linking of images is also going away, meaning that even when you share an image file individually using the new sharing mechanism, you get a link to a page that contains the image instead of directly to the image file - making it useless for the image imbed function in forums. :(

And if its anything like the previous "preview" page links, you can't just extract the image URL out of the page as the image URL is an automatically generated but temporary URL to prevent deep linking to it. If you try the image link breaks after a few hours.

Looks like I'll be searching for somewhere else to host direct linked images... (for other forums)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: Looks like I'll be searching for somewhere else to host direct linked images... (for other forums)
Set yourself up a small web server Simon, as I've run for many years now...

A little Linux box running Apache will do it a treat.

If you have a dynamic IP there are plenty of good dynamic DNS providers...

The beauty is that it's under your full control.
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Could you translate the above into more basic terms for me please Jim? I think it says use a linux pc as your own server on your own broadband.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Could you translate the above into more basic terms for me please Jim? I think it says use a linux pc as your own server on your own broadband.
Yes, exactly that James... All you need is to buy yourself a domain (web address), organise a dynamic DNS provider so that your current broadband IP address is always correctly mapped to your web address and build yourself a little Apache server under Linux on any old runbbishy PC you may have knocking around...

CentOS 6 for instance will run quite happily on an old 32 bit Pentium with a gig of memory. Even an old 40 gig hard disk will store an awful lot of images...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

Sounds interesting, I'll keep my eye out for an old desktop. Would bring my knowledge on a long way setting up something like that. It would save acquiring a router as well as I could share the hard connection with its wifi freeing up my laptop to be portable again.