C5 battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

C5 battery

Post by milleplod »

I thought I'd invest in a new battery, the current one being about 5 years old now. My usual first port-of-call is Euro Car Parts - decent prices, and there's a branch only a few miles away from home. Anyway, an Exide 'Premium' 77Ah/760CCA with a 4-year warranty is £122.99, but with their (endless!) 'sale' discount applied, it becomes £92.24 with free delivery. So far, so good.

I then look on good old eBay. The same battery is listed at £57.88, with free delivery - being sold by 'carpartsbargains', who, it turns out, are Euro Car Parts! The really good thing is that, should it fail within warranty, I can take it back to the local branch (and their warranty really is a 'no-quibble' one, as long as you have the original receipt - a couple of years ago, I took one back 2 weeks before the warranty ran out and they didn't even check it, just gave me a new one). Oddly though, I couldn't call in at the local branch and buy one over the counter for £57.88!

I suppose there's a marketing genius behind the madness.....! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 battery

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pete, I've always bought mine from Tayna Batteries. Check them out before you make a decision. Excellent quality. I replaced my X7 battery with a powerful AGM battery as these are used in Stop Start models, as they need to be reliable and quick to keep starting the engine. I don't have the Stop Start system, but I just wanted a high quality robust battery that delivers. Google them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

Hi Marc.

Yes, I've used Tayna in the past, though usually for my motorbike batteries. I've already bought the Exide from ECP - part of the reasoning is that should the battery fail under warranty, its a 10-minute drive to the local ECP to pick a new one up. I had one of Tayna's 'own-brand' (Enduroline?) bike batteries fail in-warranty, it cost me, from memory, £15 to send it back! :shock:

As an aside, I've been reading up on doing a battery swap on the C5. Is it acceptable to use jump leads to a spare battery to keep the car powered up when I do it, to avoid the procedure I've read about?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would advise against it - as the X7 has a battery measuring device attached to it and you have to be very careful about attaching or jumping these cars - there is a procedure to follow for jumping too!

The BSI reset is really simple - it just takes a bit of patience and will ensure all the ECUs shut down properly.

Tell a lie, I got my last one from here - free delivery, but if ECP is down the road then that's handy - nothing like that where I am, so rely on good old t' internet!
http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/s6008 ... ttery.html

Marc
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Many thanks Marc....I'm re- re- re-reading the procedure right now! :-D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Took me a while to locate my old post Pete - here it is with regard to where the donor terminal should be attached:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 47#p481047

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Surely to goodness the X7 would accept another 12v battery being temporarily paralleled, while the main battery was replaced? The voltage would not change more than a smidgen, after all, assuming the original battery wasn't flat.

What is it with these cars? The list of why I would never want one just grows longer.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think my concern was the Battery Charge Status Unit Chris - that has 2 sensors inside. If they get upset they can start playing havoc with your kit. I suspect that could be one reason for the economy mode issues on the X7 - I have a state of the art new battery - can go for a long run and still only get about 2 minutes before Economy mode kicks in, if that. I suspect I may have a faulty Battery Charge Status Unit (I may have the original one and there is replacement part number for these). It has probably been upset in the past which might be causing the very quick switch to Economy mode.

Just look at all the fun and challenges you're missing out on Chris! :lol:

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Have to say I totally agree with Chris. I sort out modern overcomplicated electrical issues on a daily basis for a living, I hardly want to get into it as a hobby. That and the C5 itself just doesn't appeal to me as a car. I'm more likely to go backwards with an Xm and a Cx as far as Citroens go and of course an Activa should I ever get the chance. Modern car wise virtually nothing normal appeals but I would have a Maclaren (hydropneumatic-ish), a Maserati or a Tesla without too much complaint.
Bick

Post by Bick »

you can use jump leads for battery changes without issue on a C5
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bick wrote:you can use jump leads for battery changes without issue on a C5
That's not in question Bick, the issue is on the Mark III - these have a Battery Status Control unit that any donor battery has to be connected to and not the terminal directly. Not all C5s are the same. [-X

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Just look at all the fun and challenges you're missing out on Chris! :lol:
Agree with you, Marc, that a challenge is always good. Heaven knows, a hydractive XM/Xantia is pretty good at giving the grey matter a workout from time to time. I think several of us here have enjoyed a good few on-line 'trips to the gym' together to nail how things actually work.

But, when it comes to choosing replacement cars, I now expect the next one to be significantly better than the previous, and so to read about bursting reservoirs and over-sensitive electrics and ECUs is all a bit depressing. I wouldn't even choose a washing machine with those flaws, so why a car, on which I would depend when hundreds or thousands of miles from home? Absorbing hobbies are one thing - entirely optional; temperamental and costly transport is something else.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making improvements to manufactured goods where sensible and properly understood, and where the manufacturer had seemingly done their best to get it as best as they could in the first place. Under that heading, over the years, I've replaced 4-speed boxes with 5-speed, added interval wiper controls, electronic ignition, electric cooling fans, improved lighting, fitted alternators to replace dynamos, built digital speedos, and improved audio systems. In many of these cases, the new bits were not available to the manufacturer at the time the item was built.

I do expect the clock to go forwards, not back. It is not unreasonable to expect to have roadside assistance now and again. This could well involve a jump start, or jacking the vehicle up. We now know that both of these simple and basic operations can give rise to unforseeable damage and complications in the hands of the average mechanic or owner, maybe necessitating transfer of the vehicle to a dedicated Citroen workshop. There are no effective warnings (and by this I mean unmissable stickers) fitted, only the requirement to read and remember every last detail of the Owner's Handbook. No, it won't do. The cars should possess a dependable basic level of robustness, and the inability to withstand jacking or jump-starting is just not it. Both of these bits of idiocy could have been easily avoided at design stage, but weren't.

The XM isn't immune to all this. You will cause significant damage if you use the specified jacking points to support the weight of the car. But you can jump-start it, disconnect its battery, pull fuses, let its wheels hang, and so on. About the only thing you need to guard is the radio code.

I won't mention the absence of an effective spare wheel on many new vehicles, where a nick in a sidewall can leave you stranded and severely out-of-pocket. No, I really won't mention it.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You're right of course, Chris - sometimes the 'engineers' get so wrapped up they can't see out side the box. I think a lot has to do with the electronics - 5 steps forwards and 10 back. Purely mechanical systems are engineered to withstand tolerances and do the job - add a sprinkling of electronics and you throw all that out as they are just so not suited to withstand the harsh conditions of extreme hot and cold, vibration etc. Multiplexed electronics are a good concept and offer a lot of advantages, but having so much control of the car's systems interdependent upon them is an inherent problem.

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It all started with the forced implementation of OBD and then just got added and added to. Citroen aren't to blame or the only one making cars like this. I always vowed not to have anything past 1998 because of all this and so far I've had 2. Firstly a Y reg Scenic Mk1 2.0 RXE which was brilliant, part exchanged at 125k as the gearbox was on its way out. The current Scenics actually good
(Mk1 was miles better) but its a space ship compared to the Mk1 and I can't even bleed the brakes on it myself. Although the Xantia wasn't massively affected by all this it's one of the main reasons I've avoided Mk2s.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Can I just ask if this is the right procedure for my '09 Tourer -

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=40407

I really don't want to mess anything up! :shock:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.