C8 jumping out of gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ozfish1969
My Cars: C8, Mgzt-t, (Mighty) Daewoo Musso, Bmw R1100rt.

C8 jumping out of gear

Post by ozfish1969 »

I've only had my 2.0 petrol C8 for a short time, having bought it with only 70,000 on the clock but a collapsed clutch thrust bearing. As such I replaced the 3 piece clutch and gearbox oil.

Since then I've been using it and have noticed that it will sometimes jump out of 4th and 5th gear. Think it did it in 3rd once too.

Its not all the time and seems to do it randomly though on two occasions its done it going down hill and once over a speed bump (that's when it was in 3rd I think).

Otherwise the box/clutch seem fine with no noises etc.

I'm wondering if there is a common problem with these boxes or gear linkages or if a worn gearbox / engine mount would be responsible.

I hadn't driven the car prior to replacing the clutch but the previous owner assured me there was noting wrong with the car other than the clutch, and whilst he seemed genuine you never can tell 100%.

I'm hoping its something simple as the trouble I had replacing the clutch and replacing the timing belt kit is giving me second thoughts about what is otherwise a very nice car.
chris222333

Re: C8 jumping out of gear

Post by chris222333 »

Check you gear linkages/cables are all secure and or adjusted correctly.
ozfish1969
My Cars: C8, Mgzt-t, (Mighty) Daewoo Musso, Bmw R1100rt.

Post by ozfish1969 »

From what I gather, the cables can't be adjusted.

Its selects all the gears fine, engine on or off.

The odd thing is that in 4th there seems to be a bit more 'play' in so much that the gearstick can be seen to move a bit when accelerating or decelerating.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would suggest that you check the engine mounts for excessive movement of the engine.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

ozfish1969 wrote:From what I gather, the cables can't be adjusted.

Its selects all the gears fine, engine on or off.

The odd thing is that in 4th there seems to be a bit more 'play' in so much that the gearstick can be seen to move a bit when accelerating or decelerating.
Check that the outer cable is not loose in the crimped end, they often become loose and tend to move in and out of the crimp instead of putting the gear fully into mesh.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.