Xantia clutch question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kajac123
My Cars: Citroën Xantia Break II 2.0i, 2000
Mercedes C-Class C180 W202 1.8i, 2000

Xantia clutch question

Post by kajac123 »

Hello fellow french car enthusiasts!

I have a question regarding the clutch on my 2000 Xantia II. I wondering if it's due for a change.

The clutch starts to bite about 4 cm from the bottom, meaning that the first 4 cm do absolutely nothing. It is fully engaged about 3 cm from the top, meaning that if I depress the clutch more than 3 cm, it will start to slip.

The clutch pedal rests about 2-3 cm above the brake pedal, and is adjusted to sit as low as the clutch cable allows, meaning there is no room for more adjustments. When I bought the car, the clutch pedal sat more than 10 cm above the brake, and started slipping as soon as it was touched, so I don't think is has ever been adjusted before I did it last summer.

It does not slip, and it engadges firmly. It is for instance no problem to do a burnout with the car (even though I never do it (except by accident), to prevent clutch wear).

The car (and presumably the clutch) has 214 500 km on it.

Does this sound normal, or do I need to consider changing it?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia clutch question

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had clutches in XMs last well over 200k but they tend to get heavier as they wear, don't know if the Xantia is the same. If it disengages properly and doesn't slip I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it does start slipping, driven gently not allowing it to slip could give you another 10k+.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds about normal to me for a clutch of that age...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bick

Post by Bick »

sound like a healthy Xantia clutch to me - time to worry is when they get really heavy
kajac123
My Cars: Citroën Xantia Break II 2.0i, 2000
Mercedes C-Class C180 W202 1.8i, 2000

Post by kajac123 »

Thanks for the answers. I guess I'll just leave it then. The clutch pedal is slightly heavier than the clutch in my Mercedes, but it's not in any way problematic to use.