C5 Estate tailgate glass broken

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

C5 Estate tailgate glass broken

Post by hirsty »

A few minutes after taking my granddaughter home last night, my alarm went off. I went outside to check and couldn't see a soul. Closer inspection showed my tailgate glass had shattered. The glass section has never opened seperately since I got the car about a year ago and I haven't bothered trying to make it work as I bought it for ease of loading my fishing tackle. It will cost me £75 via my insurance policy with National Windscreens/Tesco.
Any pitfalls I should be aware of ?

hirsty
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 Estate tailgate glass broken

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jut check the insurance company does not regard it as a "Claim" and reduce your NCB ......it would cost you a lot more than £75
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That would be a dirty trick, is that a common insurance rip off? I thought the glass excess was seperate to the NCB but I haven't used auto glass since my 2nd car and I've lost count now.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

A tailgate glass would "write-off" a Xantia
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Won't affect NCD James. I get my windscreens replaced on my insurance on e they get very badly pitted, must be something to do with the soft material they are made from and all the stone chipped roads where I live!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

They did not say "Fair use" on that ?

also, about £20 from a scrap yard I would think.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, never. I've had one windscreen replaced on each of the 3 C5 models I've had. After so many years on these roads with little tarmac, they end up with millions of pits, making it really hard ro see anything when the sun is bright because of the extra distortion. When it gets bad, I just say I want it replaced as I can't see out of it clearly. Never had any quibbles at all. Seeing as I've never had any accident claims in over 15 years, I feel quite justified in having that done for £70-£90 once in the car's lifetime on top of all the premiums and NCD protection I pay for.

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wow.....well I never thought you could do that. and here was me thinking "small ball end hammer" & "oh-dear"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Stickyfinger wrote:Jut check the insurance company does not regard it as a "Claim" and reduce your NCB ......it would cost you a lot more than £75
I've had 4 replaced over the last 10 years and it's never affected my NCB with any insurer.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I took the tailgate glass off my old donor C5 estate before I got rid of it. I believe it to be in good condition (for the HRW tracks) but haven't got around to testing it. It was replacement on that car at some time as I found remnants of the previous glass in various nooks and crannies.

Although Yorkshire isn't that far from Wirral the problem is that I am currently in France. But if you're seriously interested I can call my brother who lives nearby. £20 sound OK?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stickyfinger wrote:Wow.....well I never thought you could do that. and here was me thinking "small ball end hammer" & "oh-dear"
Another tip - most insurance companies will list the number to call for windscreen replacement and although this may seem that you are calling your insurer - often it will be their preferred windscreen replacement provider and NOT your insurer! This happened with Tesco, who I was with last year, so when I called the number, I asked was this Tesco or the their repairer and was told it was National Windscreens! Alarm bells rang and phone went down. These have to be one of the worst companies according to many reviews for having your windscreen replaced - they use a network of independents and unfortunately there tends to be a lot of 'can't be ar**d' cowboys.

So I called Autoglass directly, and asked them about this and they asked me who my car insurer was - so told them Tesco and they informed me 'yes, no problem, they are on our contract list'. So from there on I dealt directly with Autoglass who I had used previously and they took care of everything - never needed to deal with my car insurance company - so worth remembering!

I ended up needing a new Rain / Sunlight sensor as this was useless when re-attached back onto the screen (the gel pack was all milky and obscured the 3/4s of the rain sensors. That was a £250 item from Citroen alone that was covered under their insurance, once they came out and verified it wasn't working properly. So don't be fobbed off with whoever your insurance company recommend for windscreen replacements - ring the windscreen repairers of your choice first and see if they have a contract with your car insurance provider first! Sorted and does not affect NCD at all.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

mickeymoon wrote:I've had 4 replaced over the last 10 years and it's never affected my NCB with any insurer.
They are treated separately from other body damage and won't (shouldn't?) affect the NCB but there is almost always an excess - this is probably what the £75 is.

Incidentally any accident, fault or non-fault, claim or no-claim, can affect a future premium as this is calculated every time anew.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

That is for the windscreen though, as they are often cracked by flying debris from vehicles in front of you, not sure it applies to other glass - this would need to be confirmed.

My son was up here for Christmas. On his way up from London a pheasant flew into his windscreen while he was doing a speed test on a private road :roll:
Smashed the screen on the passenger side.
He did try and contact the insurers but they were closed for the holiday. Managed to contact some intermediary/facilitator geezer who knew less than nothing but eventually said he could get the car towed and the screen replaced when they opened after Christmas - but it would be £8,000 :yikes:

He drove it here ( another 100 miles despite the bloke saying it was illegal - Richard said it was a £60 fine and the police would recover the car (he also still has hi warrant card from when he was plod)

Autoglass fixed it yesterday and as a bonus it was someone who was at school with my eldest daughter and they got on well - first class job done!

He still has to take it to a dealer to have the windscreen sensors recalibrated - there is an ant-collision sensor that puts the brakes on if it thinks you are approachin something too rapidly, they have been known for spurious triggering, no fun at 100mph on a motorway when it decides to do an emergency stop for no apparent reason :(
He also has a claw scratch on the bonnet. Someone dinged a wheel arch when it was a week old - £1000 for a respray.
Car is a nightmare - he just got it back from the dealer last week, been in for three months as the wipers didn't work - they had to bring someone over from the factory in Spain to rewire them.
Seat Leon Cupra -R.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Paul-R, thanks for the offer. They are coming tomorrow to fit a new rear screen at my house. I have used National Windscreens before without problem. The glass excess is seperate from the vehicle excess, so I don't anticipate any problems with NCB.

hirsty
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I had a seagull divebomb a golf I hired, at high speed accelerating hard. Hit the same place as the seat, passenger side of the screen then bounced off of the roof leaving a hell of an indent and a destroyed windscreen. Must be a vag bird thing.

The hire company weren't too impressed. I'd took out the enhanced insurance having heard horror stories about £1000 bills for repairable punctures. Hence I just handed back the keys and left after watching the guy book the car back in, I had informed them by phone when it happened.

I'd accidentally battered the bootlid as well having driven the car out of my parents garage with the boot open and it hit the door motor. I hadn't anticipated that as my car at the time, a Xantia, just cleared it if I did the same. Needless to say I didn't ask to hire another car from the same place again.