07 C5 Exclusive Hatch Service light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

07 C5 Exclusive Hatch Service light

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,

my new 07 c5 exclusive Hatch Service light lights up at night for about 10 seconds and goes out again.
The car has just been serviced by Pleiades and from what I gather the service light was supposed to have been reset
During the daytime lights off the light doesn't come on at all.

Ive done a BSI reset and it did stay off all day yesterday until I did a stint along the A14 at night.

could this be a weak battery causing the issue or perhaps something else?

I have noted that the Manual is wrong it tells you to remove the ignition key then press the dashboard dial button top left and hold it down
to reset, I have found that in order to reset properly you need to hold down the button top left of the dials then turn the ignition on
and the service interval counts down to the next 20k interval and resets the counter to =0

Any ideas please? this service light and its accompanying beep is worrying . 8-[

cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: 07 C5 Exclusive Hatch Service light

Post by myglaren »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: I have noted that the Manual is wrong it tells you to remove the ignition key then press the dashboard dial button top left and hold it down
to reset, I have found that in order to reset properly you need to hold down the button top left of the dials then turn the ignition on
and the service interval counts down to the next 20k interval and resets the counter to =0
That is the right way Nigel and is how it is described in my manual.

The service light can come on for many reasons - one is when the washer fluid is low, there will be a brief message on the centre screen when using the washers but the light stays on until the fluid is replenished.

My service light has been on for the past three months. I just ignore it :roll:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My C5 screenwash warning and service light came on last week accompanied with an annoying beep beep until it was topped up.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

OK thanks I didn't realise the screen wash would be monitored to. Citroen really went nuts with the sensors didn't they. I'm going to put up a pic of my manuals instructions for the service light reset. I can't believe it has different instructions to turn off the service light. Maybe it lost something in translation. Merry Christmas everyone and thankyou all once again for your help. So far im loving the C5 its very refined compared to the old Xantia. Regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Just resetting the light every time it comes on is the wrong thing to do - you will keep resetting the service mileage. If it comes on, it is telling you something needs looking at, which could be a large number of things, not just that it thinks it is due for a service.
Not familiar with the x7 specifically, but on the first 2 c5's (and every modern car tbh) if the service light comes on it is accompanied by a message on the information screen saying what has brought it on. Does the x7 not do this (I would be flabbergasted if not...)?
Failing which, ask someone near you to plug Lexia in and find out what it has stored as the problem.

As for Citroen having 'gone nuts' with monitoring low screen wash level... If you could buy a new car these days that doesn't monitor things like that, I would be amazed! (all) modern cars measure, monitor and tell the driver about all kinds of things.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

On some models there is a check button, maybe 08 on, but of yours has one press and hold momentarily and it will scroll through what it might be. Some radios (like the one on our C3) if you press menu and fiddle about with buttons you come to an option which says diagnostics or check, press OK and it might tell you something.

If something properly serious is up, you normally get a flashing STOP on the screen. If I was a cynical person I might conclude that monitoring as much as you can and popping up service warnings is designed to send you rushing to a dealership with your wallet open. :)
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

A further thought - service light may come on if you have a bulb out. It measures the resistance in the circuit, so maybe a bulb 'on the way out' or just poorly seated will cause it. Our old C3 used to complain and it turned out to be a poor earth connection from the rear light cluster. So if its only coming on at night/with your lights on that might be it.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No bulb out warnings on the C5.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Pretty sure my C5 complained at me when I had the headlights disconnected and turned the car on while doing some work. If I recall it moaned about the indicators not functioning.

Unsure whether this would cause a check engine light though, can you get it on a lexia, where abouts do you live?
falling-out-with-my-car

Well thanks for the suggestions but the dam service light still lights up (im in Kettering) where's that you say? 25 miles east of Northampton. :)
even with the windscreen washer fluid topped up, I bought the Halfrauds -10 stuff- citrusy smell and day-glow green in colour.
and believe me at night Ive needed it to clear the screens of ice.
The service light mainly shows now about two minutes after accelerating to 70mph
which is a little worrying to say the least. the light goes out after about five seconds no other warning lights light up with it.

Ive even done the BSI reset.

in the service I had done at Pleiades Simon changed the oil-oil filter and fuel filters for me.
perhaps a pollen filter is clogged, another anomaly is that the little Nav screen tells me that the centre rear seat belt is
connected, very strange as it is not. The Nav screen fault finder says No faults found.
Brake pads have lots of meat on them.
The tyre pressure sensors are not working and I get a warning telling me this to on the Nav screen but that shows once and
doesn't come back on again like the rear centre seat belt warning.
My guess is that the tyre pressure sensors want replacing as the batteries only last about 3 years (apparently)
something I intend to fix in time they are not cheap to buy at around £75 each and then they have to be programmed into the ecu.

I have turned off the auto air-con I have found it increases mileage by about 6 miles to gallon, currently I seem to be getting 48.7 to 51.2 mpg.
with the auto air-con- on 43.2 mpg.

seems like it needs plugging into a computer to find this service problem and sort it once and for all.

further to this I'm currently giving my fairly recently bought xantia battery a good long maintenance charge on the frost setting.
5amp charge for one hour then 4amp charge for 12 hours then 1.0 to 1.5amp trickle charge.

and I'll be fitting it to the C5 shortly as the C5 battery level indicator is just shy of centre to the negative side
on the gauge. I'm wondering if there are not enough amps in the battery to support the electrical systems properly.

regards.

Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 30 Dec 2016, 13:10, edited 2 times in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Don't skimp on a good battery - C5s need plenty of welly. The service light coming on without another message or warning may be indicative of the anti-pollution system - hence when you are up to speed at 70 going off - a good burn up may be needed in 4th to get a regeneration done. If you are getting it on a lexia - check the DPF filter clogging level, that will tell you as a percentage how blocked it is. Once it gets to 60-70% you really need to get it cleared out as once it gets above this level into the high 70s low 80s, regeneration may not be possible, meaning it will have to be phsically cleaned out Nigel. EGR valve could be a bit grotty too - so worth seeing if this is gunked up and causing the valve to stick occasionally.

The seat belt warning light will come on if it detects what it thinks is a passenger without the seat belt being fastened (it does on the X7 - but I can't remember now if the MKII detects rear passengers or not now). Were you carrying anything on the rear seats when the light came on?

Marc
falling-out-with-my-car

Marc, fearful of it being the exhaust clogging up I have been doing pointless night runs on the A14
when it is clear in 5th gear at 70+ mph for about 30-40 miles. its a 6 speeder.
after a day of slow driving in town.
that's about 2,500rpm now you say I need to do this in fourth gear?

I was wondering if the egr valve cleaning kit was worth a punt?
They seem to do a pretty good job from the videos on you-tube.

the rear centre seatbelt warning comes on whether or not there is any loading on the rear seats.

cheers Nigel.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, it's the revs that are important - so if you have been driving it at 2500 rpm for a significant distance, that should help - it is important that the engine is hot enough to trigger regeneration.

If you are getting it on a Lexia - that will give you an indication of filter clogging levels first and will help determine if you need a DPF clean Nigel. Sometimes it can take a good few runs and a few regens to clear the dpf if the previous owner has used it mainly for short trips.

Marc
falling-out-with-my-car

all I know Marc is that in its first two years of use it covered only 6K
but in the last two years it covered 20K per year.
perhaps a wolf in sheep's clothing? Pleiades said it was probably the cleanest C5 exclusive they have ever seen.
I'll do a few more runs at night in fourth this time to see if it clears the service light
as soon as I change the battery.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Maybe it's worth investing in a Lexia Nigel. I think they're a basic tool for C5 owners rather than a luxury like for Xantia owners. I don't think I'd buy a C5 without having first purchased a Lexia.