C4 1.6 VTR 2005 Petrol not starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Albertdup
My Cars: Citroen C4 VTR 2005

C4 1.6 VTR 2005 Petrol not starting

Post by Albertdup »

Hi Everyone

I have a C4 1.6 VTR 2005 Petrol that I bought new have had the car for 11 years and no major problems. On 27 September I was rushing to a friend in hospital when I suddenly got a message I need to switch off the engine the car is overheating. I pulled of the road and switched off the engine, I had an anti pollution filter error earlier that day but had no time to check it out. Did notice the temperature indicating its hot. My attention was not on the instrument panel I was more focused on the road in order to get to the hospital. After switching off the engine the fan kept on running for a while until it stopped, I checked the fluid levels and they were ok. Tried to start the car and it would only crank but not start. Checked all the fuses and all was ok. Waited another hour, still would not start had it towed back to my home while another friend took me to hospital. Its almost 3 months later and it seems no one knows what's wrong with it. I was told we needed to replace the crank sensor and it was done. Still did not start then told to replace coil pack also done did not start. Had someone come run diagnostics. Got the following error codes:
F99C Engine fusebox: Fault in the fuel pump control circuit
P1536 Fault stop lamp information, Not characterised
P0261 Fault injector No 1 control, Short circuit to earth
P0261 Fault injector No 2 control, Short circuit to earth
P0261 Fault injector No 3 control, Short circuit to earth
P0261 Fault injector No 4 control, Short circuit to earth
P0444 Fault purge canister solenoid valve control, Short circuit to earth

After reading other posts its seems like it might be the BSM, I did a voltage measurement on the fuel pump and saw its sending 3.5V. I removed the fuse from BSM (L06) and directly powered the fuel pump from battery, can hear its running tried starting the car still cranks but does not start. I tried to get hold of a BSM but dealers have no ETA and can't find a second hand one. I am based in Pretoria South Africa and Citroen decided to stop selling Citroens in our country two weeks ago. They never sold that many so not easy to find second hand parts.

Any idea of what I can try next?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C4 1.6 VTR 2005 Petrol not starting

Post by RichardW »

Welcome! Not many members here from SA.

BSM is certainly looking like a candidate - looks like a fault somewhere is pulling the 5V control voltage line down.

These units are widely available second hand in the UK - but there are lots of variations. If you look at it, there will a long number next to a barcode - you can match this with a unit from e-bay. Might have trouble getting one sent to SA, but I'm sure someone here would send one out to keep a fellow Citroen-er going!!
Richard W
Albertdup

Post by Albertdup »

Ok the Peugoet/Citroen dealer came back to me they can give me a part the 30th December at a cost of £300 or R 5106 so with no second hand to be found I had to pay it. Hope it fixes the problem.
Albertdup

Post by Albertdup »

Received new Engine Bay Fuse Box today, they were a day early, installed and it started immediately. Now waiting for new brake switch (P1536 Fault stop lamp information) should receive on Wednesday and then cruse control will work properly again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Excellent news - thanks for updating the post too - that really helps others with the outcome.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc