Steering pinion

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

2cy
My Cars: 1974 Citroen-Cimos Ami Super Berline Luxe

Steering pinion

Post by 2cy »

Hi guys. I'm new with GS stuff so be gentle with me.. but my query is regarding the steering pinion used on the GS models without PAS. My own car is an Ami super of 1974 vintage, which of course uses the GS's 1015 engine with ancillaries, plus the 1220 gearbox and f.brakes (although the bell housing is unique to the super) ...so it uses quite a few GS bits.

My car's steering pinion's bearing is shot and the teeth are chewed up - so I need a new one (I'm hoping the rack isn't also damaged beyond use). It has a 7 tooth pinion gear - approx 25mm in diameter with these gears cut the whole length of the shaft going into the rack. The spline onto which the steering column clamps is likewise 25mm dia. And I was wondering if anyone had a pinion, from a GS (already out of the rack) that they could measure for me - to see if it's the same.?

The 2cv / Dyane ones are different insomuch as some of their pinion gears are cut only for part the length of its shaft, and then some used an 8 tooth gear also of 25mm cut the full length. But then I'm led to believe this changed for later cars (when they fitted smaller steering wheels) and the pinion ratio changed to 7 tooth of 28mm dia. (see below.. The top one is a 2cv's 8 tooth, and at bottom one is my 7 tooth).

NB. the length of steering column spline is not critical

Naturally I'm looking for a replacement asap.
Thanks,
Peter.

p.s. Similarly did the early GS use a 19mm dia., LHM., dual circuit, non-servo assisted master cylinder, with a single round pot reservoir ? Mine leaks so I need a seal kit.
Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Re: Steering pinion

Post by Stonehopper »

Don't recall any GS/A having PAS. All are manual.

Can't advise re. pinion, but all GS/A used high pressure braking supplied by the hydraulic pump for suspension and braking through the doseur valve. No separate reservoir for brakes.

PS Have you tried Der Franzose?
http://www.franzoesische-klassiker-shop ... %22/Bremse
Derek
2cy

Post by 2cy »

Thanks, Derek

I ended up sending the sketch to 30 different supplier & restorers including Der Franzose. Of those who replied just three could help with offering a RHD rack for anything between £75 and £200 + p&p. Pete Sparrow offered the least expensive for a low mileage unit - so I've ordered that. Unfortunately, it's buying a RHD rack for the sake of obtaining just one part for a LHD rack, and then also buying something of unknown condition. But really I have little choice. :?

I need to get the car on the road asap so that I might register it (DVLA will not allow newly registered to go straight onto SORN) even historic class of vehicle and the car was previously registered in Slovenia. And the insurance company want the registration number rather than insuring on chassis number. They give 30 days to provide them with the number, but by keeping them informed I've extended it a little longer.

Hopefully the rack will be collected by the courier tomorrow and in the meantime I'm working through a list of other jobs.. like fitting seat belts. After the sills were replaced they were not refitted. Today I find out why. The captive nuts in the sills are 9mm x 1.25 which is a non standard size. Why the heck they didn't just use the correct seat belt size or even an M10-fine I don't know but hey ho.. These size of bolt is used on drive shafts, so are available by special order.

But thanks again for your suggestion. ;)

Pete
Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Post by Stonehopper »

9mm x 1.25 - isn't that the same as hold the end plates onto the axle tubes for the shock absorber mounts on the A series? I know they are 9mm, and I think they are 1.25mm pitch.

Here you go: also for A series handbrake eccentrics!
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/bolt-hand ... -1620.html
Derek
2cy

Post by 2cy »

^ yes, same pitch but much shorter bolts to hold the end plates on.

Thanks for the link, ECAS would most likely have been my second attempt. As it was I got 30mm x 9mm from Suffolk Fasteners, here in Ipswich - 5 for £10 incl postage, so I save a fiver or more over ECAS prices. but useful to know that they were also used for the handbrake eccentric ;)