For my sins.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

For my sins.

Post by demag »

A couple of years ago I became the custodian of a quite rare Bx. It is a Tgs automatic, I think there are eight on the road presently. I drove it back from Bristol to home and for an old car in need of some tlc it went reasonably well. Over the ensuing months I have picked away at it and got quite a few jobs done. I didn't mot it last year because I had that much going on after I retired it would have been pointless. However I managed to repair/replace/rebuild the carb, Speedo, fuel pump, time the ignition which was mysteriously retarded, start changing the gearbox Dexron ll and had all the spheres checked and recharged plus I repaired some odd electrical faults.

Then.... I had to move it on Monday because we are having the drive block paved. It started and stood up as it always does and just as I was reversing off the drive down it went! Not nowww! I got it moved onto the chapel carpark next door but knew it couldn't stay there. So popped over to see Paul the indie and explained my dilemma. Normally a grumpy bugger he enthused about it saying he hadn't seen one for years. So he gave me the number of a friendly recovery man, Breakdown Brian! [emoji3] Well I rang him and he seemed a really nice chap. He came over yesterday and turned up in a beaver tail Transit. I thought there's no way it will go on that but you know it went on as sweet as a nut with no suspension and no pas. He made it look easy, oh and he looked just like Father Christmas.[emoji3]

This morning I had a call from Paul the indie. I was expecting the worst. "Do you know" he said, "this is a lovely little car, we've checked it all over and the leak is an easy fix and I reckon it would go through an MOT with a little work".
I knew it wanted strut returns but I have loads of spares for it including two genuine returns. So he's going to do the few jobs and put an MOT on it for Monday. Then after New Year he will do the cambelt as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: For my sins.

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! I think this BX should be the subject of a blog Dave... I'd love to hear more about it ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Excellent news that a BX might be back in business soon. Its one of the cars I regret selling, early 1.9RD so not as exotic as yours. Replaced it (after about 110k miles, 4 years, got about a lot in those days) with a facelift BX TRD, not sure I have any photos of that.

This was somewhere up a Pyrenee

Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Another Citroen design innovation IMO (although I think this was one of Bertone's), still it just oozed uniqueness and individuality. I remember going to my old boss many many moons ago when I was a sales rep. and convinced him to dump the Vauxhall Astra company cars we all had to endure and opt for the 1.4 BX TGE at the time that was just out. Sold him on the idea of all the added value and that's what happened. Unfortunately my Astra was fairly new and the guy I trained up as a new rep got a new BX, the lucky bu**er! :twisted: I left not long after, so never did get to play in one! :evil:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I thought long and hard about doing a blog Jim. Well a couple of minutes anyway. ;-) but there is already one on the Bx forum so I would just be repeating myself. Its also fairly up to date on work done. So I might just give updates on here now and again. We'll see.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

This was a couple of weeks ago.

Dave
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Another Citroen design innovation IMO (although I think this was one of Bertone's), :
it was Bertone

According to Wikipedia the studio did the BX, Xantia, XM and ZX and the Citroen Zabrus. "The what?" I said ......

Old Mr B had died by then, son Nuccio was running things so I suppose strictly it should have been a Berttwo.
Richard_C

Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Classic!

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Citroen Zabrus, another one that got away. I wonder if it was taken up by Volvo in a watered down form. The frontal treatment is also reminiscent of some Fiat designs.

Dave
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

I regret selling my TZD Turbo estate, 22 yrs ago [emoji22]

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I remember being given one as a courtesy car by a main dealer years ago when my Xantia was being serviced - it was a K reg so 92/3 I think and wasn't exactly in great condition - but it did feel like driving on a huge marshmallow - starting off from standstill and it felt like it dipped at the rear by a foot as if launching into space!

Marc
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

The softest floatiest Citroen suspension I have ever experienced was without doubt the Ds. Above 50mph it was other worldly, completely divorced from the road. The genuine true "magic carpet" ride. No other Citroen has come close and definitely not the Bx.

Dave
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Richard_C wrote:Excellent news that a BX might be back in business soon. Its one of the cars I regret selling, early 1.9RD so not as exotic as yours. Replaced it (after about 110k miles, 4 years, got about a lot in those days) with a facelift BX TRD, not sure I have any photos of that.

This was somewhere up a Pyrenee

Nice, and a Cheshire car too judging by the FM suffix on the plate. Crewe registered & likely sold by Grocott's Peugeot/Citroen franchise? :-D
Last edited by ekjdm14 on 16 Dec 2016, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bertone, in common with all the top Italian styling houses, do a fantastic job... All their work for Citroen has been truly excellent and all are absolutely timeless :D There is no best, they're all equally good.

They'll still look fresh in fifty years time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)

Post by Richard_C »

ekjdm14 wrote:
Nice, and a Cheshire car too judging by the FM suffix on the plate. Crewe registered & likely sold by Grocott's Peugeot/Citroen franchise? :-D
Cheshire yes, but C&T of Widnes. C&T from Cock & Trumpet, the pub that was on the same site. Chief Mechanic was called Graham Hill, head man was Alan something. Good small dealership.
Richard_C