Cut in timing belt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonnya
My Cars:

Cut in timing belt

Post by jonnya »

Hello, I have an 2003 406s 1.9 90bhp 160 000K. I have been thinking about my timing belt and when to replace it..I inspected it and saw it had a slight cut. I wondered if this was urgent and I should replace as soon as possible or run the car until it is a convenient time to replace it...like after Chrismas.

The cut is 4mm across the top and about 2mm deep

I have a picture of the cut. I looking on this forum how to post a picture.

Thanks, Jon.
jonnya
My Cars:

Re: Cut in timing belt

Post by jonnya »

Correction..the belt I am referring to is the belt on the right hand side of the engine...exposed and not covered. Is tht the timing belt?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is probably the auxiliary belt (for things such as the air/con compressor and power steering pump, I think). When you see that a belt is damaged you should replace it ASAP. If that belt were to fail it is possible that it could flail around and damage the timing belt. If that were then to fail (while the engine was at high revs) it will cause damage to the engine.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 10 Dec 2016, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If you upload the picture to say Imgur (no need to register usually) or Photobucket (registration needed I think) you can then post it here via the IMG tags. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

If you can see it without removing any covers,it's the auxiliary belt. This belt and its tensioner has to be removed when replacing the cambelt.
So I think it's time to do the whole job in one go.When you do it get a full cambelt kit,pulleys,tensioner and water pump.
I`ve had an auxilary belt fail,the debris wrapped around the crank pulley,bits of the shredded belt got into the timing cover and caused the cambelt to fail. £1500 job!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it is URGENT. If that belt breaks there is a good chance it'll end up snagging the cambelt and causing potentially destructive damage to the head.. So as oldpug says, do both jobs now and also carefully check the health of the auxiliary belt tensioner. That one failing could be the root cause of the damage...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

I had to scrap a Renault espace 2002 when the aux belt failed and took out the cambelt - engine was very wrecked
Simon
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
'96 ZX 1.9TD SX, 81k new resurrection project saved from the scrapper

Post by ekjdm14 »

Definitely. I would echo everything Jim, Simon et al have said. You *could* likely "get away" with just replacing the aux belt & possibly the tensioner if cash/time are tight coming up to Christmas but if you don't know when the cam belt was last done (if ever!) then it'd be safer to replace the whole lot as soon as humanly possible. I believe the 1.9 engine does do major damage to itself if the timing belt slips/breaks so it is important to know everything is healthy in that area.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, 81k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: I believe the 1.9 engine does do major damage to itself if the timing belt slips/breaks so it is important to know everything is healthy in that area.
Yes, precisely why I could not rest easily until I'd done Gabriel's.

Basically, if the cambelt goes then the valves get pushed by the pistons into the cam and that in turn snaps the cam into a number of pieces and more often than not one or two cam bearing caps also break.

The cam can be replaced but the bearing caps can't as they are unique to that head... The bearings are line bored at the time of head manufacture and it will be found in practice that no other hearing caps from another head quite fit...

'Foreign' bearing caps can be made to approximately fit by various methods but it's never 100% good again...

So, essentially, although no valves usually get bent or damaged, the head is effectively a write-off.

The 2.1TD and 8V HDi engines fare a little better. A broken cambelt will generally not damage head or valves but will break rockers (cam followers); these can be replaced fairly easily and without removing the head...

A broken belt on 16v engines will bend valves...

Whenever you swap a cambelt always change the waterpump at the same time. If you don't likely in a matter of weeks you'll be doing the job again because the water pump has sprung a leak...

The 1.9TD is not the easiest belt to do but still much easier than resolving the damage after a breakage...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...