407 TPMS there or not?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

407 TPMS there or not?

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Hello. Does anyone else have a question about their 407 tire pressure monitoring system? I did a scan with planet and it shows no faults, which is expected since i've have never gotten any message on the dashboard- even when the pressure was drastically low due to a puncture and low again when parked for a month in storage.

under the valve measurements in the system, the pressure in each tire correlating to the valves is 0 and doesnt move. the temperature also is nil and it reads underinflated even though i just inflated them.

in the BSI available ECUs i noticed the TPMS was listed as missing- so i changed it to present. Apparently to calibrate each wheel one needs some sort of tire force tool and inflate it by 3, 7 bars. I have no idea what that is about. A general scan on the system itself declares no faults. what is going there? so is it working or not?

its expensive to change all four if it can be fixed, maybe a cleaning. The battery is still good as planet reads voltage correct on each valve sensor.

ANy thoughts?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: 407 TPMS there or not?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You will need to use something called an 'exciter' (along with a 'Planet Peugeot' system) to wake the system back up. I have not done this myself, but others have.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

You probably need a TPMS exciter to stimulate the valve while the car is stationary.

I've only used a Lexia on a Citroen but I imagine that PP is similar. For the Mk1 C5 the Lexia prompts you activate the exciter next to a specific wheel in turn. The Citroen exciter is called the Protoctair, or was - I think it's been superseded. I wasn't able to obtain an exciter so I disabled the TPMS system in the BSI - which is what sounds like has been done to your car.

The Mk2 and Mk3 C5s use different systems but still need an exciter.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

hey guys thanks for the reply. an exciter eh? where do i find one of those? I dont think the sensors are bad but its a lot of fiddling on planet to get these things to work. planet says to turn it on or off use the accessories menu which i cant find.
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Where did you go in lexia to disable the tpms? im going to try turning it back on and see if the car can pick up the sensors. it appears to be a lot of trouble. why didnt they use something easier- like those plug n play valve sensors- ...which doesnt need a ECU to read or detect.
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

The last owner used to try hard with car- im thinking there must be a reason he deactivated the TPMS . If the system is too sensitive and beeps low pressure every trip then it is in no way worth the effort getting restored. Once rented a S class- drove 400 miles over a month. No warning until about the 255 mile mark
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The reason I deactivated the system was that one of the valves needed re-pairing - the other three were OK. I found it very annoying to have the warning beep every time I started the engine up. It was doubly annoying as I'd just bought a brand new valve and I didn't know about the special exciter tool needed at the time. I'd have saved some money and gone straight to turn them off if I had known.

Sorry, can't help with where the TPMS is on the PP as I've never used PP, only Lexia.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I have no clue as to where this exciter force tool is or how it looks. I see some stuff like autel https://www.amazon.com/Autel-TS401-Maxi ... 7SR20EQD88

without it, i have no way of fixing the sensors to read the pressure- new tires, rims are due. dont want to change that without dropping some new sensors as well.
furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

I just had my tpms activated and paired to the C6. Had it done at Euromaster. Cost me 40 euro. Tried before with the official Citroën dealer tool but failed. This was most likely to do wth the fact that my sensors were purchased through Ebay and are officially for Jaguar/LandRover.
Took them about 5 minutes and a short drive to do it. They used an Ateq VT56 device.

407 might be similar, can't hurt to give them a call....
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I see. I think i solved my TPMS problem- replace the old Peugeot one with a set of new modern TPMS system- there is some really good after marketing ones out there that give- based on product description- better results If its true, then its incalculably more efficient, reliable and user-friendly than the stock OEM one. I think that the better option all round to go since restoring the OEM one would be very problematic where i live, and doubly expensive. Plus it would be good to keep an eye on a visual reading of the tires on a screen rather than hooking up a diagnostic.
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I managed to reactivate the sensors- it keep reading fault code C1604 something about left tire sensor aerial something. the fault can be cleared but i havent tried it to see if it will reappear. the system can read the bars and temperature from that sensor so i assume the sensor is working.

If i change all sensors to brand new ones, will it need reinitialization? or will it be plug n play?
Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

I managed to reactivate the TPMS sensors. I had to put about 3.8 bars of pressure in one problematic tire to get the System to pick up the reading. After a quick drive the system was reading all the sensors. Its a shame the system cannot give you real time pressure on each 4 sensors instead of relaying a message only when the pressure drops on any one or more of the tires. Will keep it active until the TPMS replacement unit comes- then i;ll replace the entire thing with a real time monitoring system.