Think my berlingo has hgf

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Think my berlingo has hgf

Post by daviemck2006 »

My berlingo, 2.0hdi has a problem. The coolant low level light was coming in all the time but not losing water so I pulled the plug off. However then the bloody thing decided to overheat and did lose water. Topped up the water and it's losing or using company now. Also there seems to be back pressure in the engine. It blows the dipstick up, I think it's blowing oil out the oil filler cap, it's seriously messy and when the coolant expansion tank is opened there's pressure in there too. There is no mixing of oil and coolant, and it's starting and running perfectly. It has had a recent oil and filter change and the oil level is correct. Does this sound like head gasket failure? That's what is going through my head. I know I got it cheap, I've done the rear axle and steering rack boots that were advisories on its last not and thought that was it sorted out. I was budgeting for a cambelt and water pump change but I think cylinder head will need to come off also.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Think my berlingo has hgf

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just had to ask - are the fans kicking in at all? If not, could be the temp thermostat...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Run it up to temp Davie, then let it cool. Open the expansion tank cap. If there's pressure, you've got a HGF I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I've never heard the cooling fan cut in, but when there's coolant in it the temperature gauge is in the proper place, about 80 degrees. When it did heat up it was about 110 degrees, not quite into the red, and I can't recall if the fan was on. So it looks like timing belt and water pump and head gasket. I have a xantia book of lies, I'm hoping it will give enough information to do the job. I presume it will be the exact same once some of the ancillaries are out the way.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Put the end of the header tank overflow pipe in a bottle and see if coolant is being blown out of it.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It might be OK if you just run it with the cap loose to stop it building pressure....

Xantia book won't cover the HDi engine.... Unfortunately in the Berlingo, the HG books at 15 hours!! First job is to remove the turbo, and the first part of that is removing the front subframe. It might be possible to remove the head with the turbo on - I think Paul (citroenxm) has done a Xantia this way, but it's far from a walk in the park.
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Ouch. 15 hours labour! I think it gets chucked into the small ads for sale then. Or just run until it explodes! I really like it too [emoji26]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This does sound a bit HGF'ish Davie... Very sorry to hear this news :(

Given all the work you've done, it might be cheaper and easier to look around for a good replacement engine and just do a wholesale swap rather than try to fix what you have...

Good tip from Peter about running with a loose cap... Do check those fans though and another way to see if the HGF is failing is to run from cold and look for tiny bubbles in the expansion tank almost from the off.. Another way is to see if the top hose becomes pressurised whilst still stone-cold... For that last test the cap will need to be on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

What I need to find is a xantia hdi with good engine and a leather interior which is either accident damaged or rotten. Engine for blingo and leather for activa all in one go! I thought a 2.0hdi 8v would have been reliability guaranteed.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I have a brand new, not even unwrapped Berlingo book of lies you can have for the price of postage Davie, but be warned, it's an "interesting" job..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

daviemck2006 wrote:What I need to find is a xantia hdi with good engine and a leather interior which is either accident damaged or rotten. Engine for blingo and leather for activa all in one go! I thought a 2.0hdi 8v would have been reliability guaranteed.
Now there's a thought Davie ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Re: RE: Re: Think my berlingo has hgf

Post by daviemck2006 »

mickeymoon wrote:I have a brand new, not even unwrapped Berlingo book of lies you can have for the price of postage Davie, but be warned, it's an "interesting" job..

If I decide to do the job I shall have that book from you. I'm undecided yet what I'm doing. I may well cut my losses and sell it on, then look for another. But then I may need to do another axle. Not keen on that either.

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If you get another Davie, swap axles....
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

There are a few Berlingos with V6s in...

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Re: RE: Re: Think my berlingo has hgf

Post by daviemck2006 »

mickeymoon wrote:There are a few Berlingos with V6s in...

I like that idea [emoji38][emoji4]

Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2