'09 C5 odd noise!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

milleplod
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

'09 C5 odd noise!

Post by milleplod »

My 2.0HDi auto Exclusive made an odd noise today! I was setting off from a standstill at a busy junction, accelerated sharply, and as the revs built up (presumably in 1st gear) there was a very obvious noise, just for a second, that sounded as if a valve of some sort was 'blowing off', if that makes sense. It has done it once before, similar circumstances, around 2/3 months ago.

Any ideas? It sounded horrible! :shock:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Re: '09 C5 odd noise!

Post by old'uns »

If it sounded like a lollipop stick on a bicycle wheel then yes mine used to do that as well..?
i always thought it was a UJ TBH but at each service nothing to show what it was.
Got rid of mine before i got to the bottom of it
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
milleplod
(Previously, in order....Dyane, 2CV6 x 3, Visa 1.7D, GSA estate, GS Pallas, CX TurboII, Picasso...all fondly remembered!).

Post by milleplod »

old'uns wrote:If it sounded like a lollipop stick on a bicycle wheel then yes mine used to do that as well..?
i always thought it was a UJ TBH but at each service nothing to show what it was.
Got rid of mine before i got to the bottom of it
I racked my brains trying to think of something it sounded like.....yep, that was it exactly! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Post by petef »

Mine does it too. Think it is common with 2litre hdi's. I remember it being discussed at some length in the Citroenian if not here as well. Seems to be some kind of pre-ignition which makes the engine momentarily sound like a bag of nails but doesn't seem to do any long term harm, although I stand to be corrected.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

petef wrote:Mine does it too. Think it is common with 2litre hdi's. I remember it being discussed at some length in the Citroenian if not here as well. Seems to be some kind of pre-ignition which makes the engine momentarily sound like a bag of nails but doesn't seem to do any long term harm, although I stand to be corrected.
Ooh er...that sounds worryingly serious!! :shock: I've got to say though that I didn't get the impression it was coming from the engine itself (he says, hopefully....!), more like something low down....but I know pinpointing noise is a very inexact science at the best of times!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
Filberton

Post by Filberton »

I have similar occasionally but seem to have tracked mine to harmonic vibration of one of the engine covers. (it disappears for a while if I knock and shuffle things but then returns after a while. I found if I tried a fast pull off in first gear on an empty road I could get the noise and by maintaining the revs the period of the noise could be extended. slightly oddly, I only got the noise when pulling off on a slight up-grade not on a level or down-hill so only certain junctions.
Current: C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDI Manual (2008)
C3 Puretech 1.2 Feel (2017)

Previous: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HDI,
Peugeots 407, 406, 406,205,309, 306 Meridian, 306 L, Peugeot 207L 1.4 manual (2003)
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Filberton wrote:I have similar occasionally but seem to have tracked mine to harmonic vibration of one of the engine covers. (it disappears for a while if I knock and shuffle things but then returns after a while. I found if I tried a fast pull off in first gear on an empty road I could get the noise and by maintaining the revs the period of the noise could be extended. slightly oddly, I only got the noise when pulling off on a slight up-grade not on a level or down-hill so only certain junctions.
The two times mine's done it were both on slight up-gradients, so that's interesting! I'll have a root around under the bonnet. Thanks!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Engine/exhaust/something touching body/something else when torque is momentarily high - eg when pulling away uphill, and engine goes through its torque curve? Engine mounting will be flexible, and torque will peak and then back off. Maybe.

Or a belt "thrash" at a certain engine revs. More easily pinned down.
Or maybe hydraulic tappet racket that comes and then goes? Had this (Toyota D4D) when engine oil grade is too thin.
Chris
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Hmmmm.....food for thought. What about a pulley rattling?......when the aircon is on, there's a definite noise that sounds like a worn bearing or something. Tbh, its not doing it often enough to worry me....but then there's always the concern that its going to lead to something worse!

Thanks.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

milleplod wrote:
Filberton wrote:I have similar occasionally but seem to have tracked mine to harmonic vibration of one of the engine covers. (it disappears for a while if I knock and shuffle things but then returns after a while. I found if I tried a fast pull off in first gear on an empty road I could get the noise and by maintaining the revs the period of the noise could be extended. slightly oddly, I only got the noise when pulling off on a slight up-grade not on a level or down-hill so only certain junctions.
The two times mine's done it were both on slight up-gradients, so that's interesting! I'll have a root around under the bonnet. Thanks!
Pete
Ditto Pete - on a steep hill or sharp incline I get the vibration - took a Citroen technician out once for a spin to see if he could pinpoint the noise - and said it's likely to be some protection or shielding vibrating occasionally - doesn't do it often so I can live with it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc