2004 Berlingo Headlight/Indicator/Dash flashing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dentone
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

2004 Berlingo Headlight/Indicator/Dash flashing

Post by Dentone »

Hello! Iv'e had an ongoing problem with my beloved 2004 2l HDi Berlingo since August. It started going down the M1 at 1am, and all of a sudden my dipped beams went out, along with my clocks backlight nd the rest of the dask. The clock and stereo were fine. But complete blackness! I discovered wiggling the indicator wand put the lights back on, but full beam would not hold on on its own.

So i got my mechanic I always use to replace the indicator/wiper/radio set with a part from a breakers yard. The old part had a very loose indicator wand. ONe of the wiring looms inside it seemed to be crimped like it had gotten trapped. HOwever with the new part the problem got worse. Every time I indicated the dipped beams would cut out then the dash, then the indicators would stop of their own accord and the headlights would cone back on. It was a bit like driving in a disco!

So he fitted ANOTHER indicator/wiper set. All was fine on three night drives till earlier today, I indicate on a roundabout and my headlights drop out - as soon as I grab the indicator wand they restore. Happend twice on a 40 mile drive. Scares the **** out of me everytime.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, mechanic seems adamant its the part, Ive suggested it could be a corroded earth (I live near the sea..) No blown fuses, and no bulbs gone. I did short the dash out when I reconnced my radio arial in June, but I drove all around France after that with no problems... HELP!!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 2004 Berlingo Headlight/Indicator/Dash flashing

Post by xantia_v6 »

Have you had any work done to the steering or wheel alignment?
If the wheel alignment is done with the steering wheel not centred properly, then it can cause internal damage to the switch unit when you turn the wheel to full lock while parking.

Stop the car with the wheels pointing exactly forward (don't look at the steering wheel position), make a temporary mark at the top of the steering wheel, then turn the wheel as far as it will go from that position in either direction and check that it is the same number of turns and degrees in each direction.

I had a Xantia that went through 5 airbag clock springs before I worked out that a mechanic had adjusted the alignment badly, then moved the steering wheel so that it looked central.
Dentone
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Post by Dentone »

Thats interesting because I think i had alignment done about a year ago - but this problem cropped up about 4 months ago - i have noticed when im driving straight the wheel isnt straight anymore since the last part was fitted either. not off by much though. Ill have a look in daylight tomorrow, thanks for your reply. I really want to get to the bottom of this its making me just not want to take it out at night anymore. :-(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It would point at the COM2000 unit - however I remember someone was having trouble with the horn on a Berlingo and wheeler mentioned that sometimes the wires can chafe over the steering column giving rise to all sorts of oddities. There's a guy in Bradford can repair the COM2000 units.
Richard W
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

This sounds like the COMM2000. Contact Graeme Hall, (the guy in Bradford). He can repair and diagnose these items and has a good reputation. His contact details are on the forum somewhere.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Graeme Hall.
Tel No only.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've had these issues both on a Mark I C5 and a C3. Complete electrical power off on the dash, radio off, lights off and back on again (spooky) on the C5 and the comms 2000 unit needed replacing. The C3 had mainly problems with the auto light going on and off on their own during the day and night, and the dipped and main beam randomly changed, flashing oncoming traffic.

A new comms unit was the cure. We had ours done at the dealer as the software version of the new comms unit needed to be matched to the car's options. If you are having your own unit repaired it should be fine.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It only needs to go on the computer if it has ESP to calibrate the steering angle sensor - I very much doubt this is the case with a 04 Berlingo...!
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was told by the service manager that the firmware and software need to be compatible, and we don't have ESP on the C3, so just passing it on. Only had it done a few weeks ago :wink:

Marc
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: 2004 Berlingo Headlight/Indicator/Dash flashing

Post by mickeymoon »

RichardW wrote:It only needs to go on the computer if it has ESP to calibrate the steering angle sensor - I very much doubt this is the case with a 04 Berlingo...!
No steering angle sensor on an 04 Berlingo. It's a 20 min job to remove a comms unit on one.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I was told by the service manager that the firmware and software need to be compatible, and we don't have ESP on the C3, so just passing it on. Only had it done a few weeks ago :wink:
He's telling you porkie pies to get work in..... :-D
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

RichardW wrote:
GiveMeABreak wrote:I was told by the service manager that the firmware and software need to be compatible, and we don't have ESP on the C3, so just passing it on. Only had it done a few weeks ago :wink:
He's telling you porkie pies to get work in..... :-D
No he's not like that, I've known him for 25+ years Richard, when he's been with Citroen and independent - he's one of the most knowledgeable former technicians I've met with a genuine interest in Customers and Citroen. If he doesn't agree with something he says so and has voted with his feet in the past. I've always moved my custom round with him as he knows his stuff inside out.

I know about the coding for ESP models with the steering wheel angle sensor issue (I've done one of these on a Mark 2 C5 Exclusive and that was a pig to do including a black eye and needed a new unit), but as these contain both microcontrollers and CAN controllers on the PCB, I'm wondering if he was referring to that... Anyway, whatever they did or didn't do it's cured all the problems and 100% again. But as you say, finding the same model as the old one and swapping them like for like works too in most cases it seems.

Marc