Driving a Xantia Auto

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Driving a Xantia Auto

Post by elma »

The day I pick up my V6 Xantia is fast approaching and one thing is bothering me about how to use the gearbox. I know from experience that when stopping a Xantia it is wise to apply the handbrake and release the footbrake or the rear may jump. Is this the same in an auto? What is the stop and start technique to get the best from the car? I imagine it's stop, put in park, apply handbrake and release footbrake with the reverse to pull away. Seems a bit faffy, surely it's simpler than that.
mickeymoon

Re: Driving a Xantia Auto

Post by mickeymoon »

Having owned 9 Xantias, including 3 autos, I can't say I've driven them any differently to any other car or auto I've owned.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

James, I'll explain all you need to know about driving a Xantia V6 on the way to picking it up...

But basically, select D and go!

Put into P when you are stopped and parked up and remember you have to press the brake to come out of P.

Reserve the Sport button for special occasions only ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The only trick is that when you are stopped at the lights, keep your foot, firmly on the brake. It is when you let it creep with the brake partly applied that the rear suspension gets wound up and drops.

And in the morning, if it stays in first gear longer than you like, put it into snow mode for one second, and that will cancel warm-up mode.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Snow mode also great for really slow-crawling traffic, where there is no need for a low gear.
Ran a 1.8i auto for a couple of years from new, averaging 150 miles a day, and was impressed with it. Nothing like as relaxing, involving or comfortable as XM, but hugely capable. Cruise control in combination with auto was a fun combination, too.
Chris